by 0x9982b469910c2ee2ea566dcfcc250cdd34056397 (MrEric)
As participation in the DAO increases and more proposals are submitted, there is an increased risk of approving malicious, spammy, or poorly-formulated proposals. To protect the DAO from such proposals being passed unknowingly, a minimum amount of participating VP should be required to vote in favor of a proposal in order for it to be passed and enacted.
This risk is especially relevant to community grants funded by the DAO. With the recent approval of this grants framework, users will soon be able to request MANA to fund projects by means of one-time payments and vesting contracts.
The lack of a minimum VP needed to pass a vote combined with an increase in proposal submissions may result in many underqualified or fraudulent grants receiving approval. While the DAO Committee is responsible for initiating the transfer of funds for grants, the final approval for grants should come from a majority vote within the community, not the DAO Committee.
The minimum VP participation required to approve a proposal may vary depending on the proposal category. Given the financial risk associated with community grants, the minimum should be higher for these proposals.
- A minimum of 1 million VP should be required to vote YES on a grant request for it to be approved, if the YES votes have the majority
- A minimum of 500k VP should be required to vote YES on POI additions, Name Bans, and Catalyst node additions for these actions to be enacted by the DAO, if the YES votes have the majority
These thresholds should be subject to change in future, as seen fit by the DAO.
As can be seen in recently approved POI additions this level of support is not difficult to reach, but still plays an important role in preventing unnoticed proposals from “slipping through” the DAO.
- Helps to ensure that enacted proposals more accurately reflect the sentiment of the greater community
- Helps to prevent the DAO from funding underqualified, poorly-formulated, or fraudulent grants
- Helps to ensure that high quality POIs are added
- Helps to prevent the addition of low-quality Catalyst nodes to Decentraland’s network that might negatively impact users’ experience
- Prevents abuse of the Banned Name list
Implement the described minimum VP participation needed to approve proposals.
Continue allowing proposals to pass without a minimum VP participation.