by 0x76fb13f00cdbdd5eac8e2664cf14be791af87cb0 (Matimio)
Establish a Formal Process for Adding/Removing DAO Committee Members
The DAO needs a clear process for removing and adding DAO Committee members. This proposal is a Draft Proposal outlining such a process for community consideration.
The DAO needs to be able to add and remove committee members in a variety of situations:
- When a committee member resigns
- When the community wants to replace a committee member
- When a committee member must be removed quickly in an emergency
There are also several needs that need to be balanced when making changes to the DAO Committee:
- Decisions must be as decentralized as possible
-Only qualified and trustworthy candidates should be appointed to the committee
- Committee members must be able to collaborate and work well together
-The committee must be able to act immediately in an emergency
Bearing in mind the situations and needs listed above, please review this draft proposal process for removing, sourcing, and appointing DAO Committee members.
Currently, the process for adding or removing a DAO Committee Member can only be triggered and/or canceled (within a 24 hour delay mechanism) by a Security Advisor Board (SAB) member. This proposal introduces a pathway to expand the stakeholders and processes involved in removing and appointing DAO Committee Members to include the SAB, DAO Committee Members or members of the Decentraland Community.
Adding a new committee member is only initiated following the removal or resignation of an existing member which should be triggerable by any of the above stakeholders, including the committee member wishing to resign.
The following section introduces the proposed processes and procedures that each stakeholder category can initiate in order to remove and subsequently add a member to the DAO Committee.
Removing a committee member
Each stakeholder category will have a different process for initiating the removal of a DAO Committee Member.
How a committee member removal can be initiated:
- By the DAO Committee:
- Any committee member can create the delayed transaction in Aragon (including the resigning member)
- After 24 hours, the committee member is removed
- Any committee members can cancel the removal within the 24 hour delay window.
- DAO Committee must create a proposal to confirm the decision with the community
- By the Security Advisory Board:
- The SAB can create a delayed committee member removal transaction in Aragon
After 24 hours, the member is removed
- 3 of 5 SAB members can cancel the removal within the 24 hour delay window
- In an emergency situation, the SAB can create a removal transaction in Aragon that is immediately implemented, temporarily removing committee powers from a DAO committee member
- Transaction must be confirmed by 3 of the 5 SAB members within 24 hours or the Committee Member’s powers are restored. If confirmed, the committee member is removed and their token burned. If unconfirmed they must be reinstated.
- If removing a member in an emergency, the SAB must create a proposal to retroactively confirm the decision with the community
- By the community by creating a proposal:
- The DAO should add a REMOVE COMMITTEE MEMBER proposal category with the following required parameters:
- The name of the committee member to remove
- Reasoning for the removal of the committee member. This should include evidence supporting their removal in the event of misconduct.
- To submit a proposal to remove a committee member a community member must have 5,000 VP or delegated VP.
- The acceptance criteria for committee member removal proposals should be set to 6 million VP and 2/3rds participating majority of voting power.
- If a REMOVE COMMITTEE MEMBER proposal passes, the committee member is expected to resign.
- If a REMOVE COMMITTEE MEMBER proposal passes and the committee member does not wish to resign, the DAO Committee should initiate a delayed removal transaction.
In the event that the remaining DAO Committee members do not ratify the removal decision, they must submit a proposal to the community arguing the case for retaining the committee member.
- If this proposal is rejected, then the SAB is responsible for removing the committee member.
- If this proposal passes with an acceptance criteria of at least 6 million VP and a 2/3rds participating majority of voting power, then the committee member is not removed.
After the removal has been approved by the DAO, several steps have to be taken:
- In the event of an immediate resignation or emergency removal of a committee member, a member of the SAB should stand in as a temporary member until a replacement is appointed
- The Committee member’s COMMITTEE token in Aragon must be burned to prevent them from initiating transactions on the DAO’s behalf.
- The Committee member’s address must be removed from the DAO’s multisig proxy.
- The process for finding a replacement member should be initiated by the DAO Committee as a post on the Forum calling for applications
Adding a committee member
The process for adding a committee member includes three stages: the open application period, the committee interviews, and a final vote by ranked choice. If the DAO decides not to implement support for ranked choice voting, then separate proposals could be created for each individual candidate selected by the DAO Committee after the interview stage.
Open application period (2 weeks)
Applications submitted as posts on the forum, applicants should answer:
- What is your full name?
- What is your primary wallet address?
- Why are you applying?
- What is your history with both Decentraland and Decentraland’s DAO?
- What skills, qualifications, and experience will you bring to the committee?
- Can you commit at least 10 hours per week to the DAO?
- Provide links to any relevant social media profiles or other information that will help the community when evaluating candidates.
- Provide a list of two references, at least one of which is in the Decentraland community that can attest to your character and/or commitment to Decentraland.
Committee Interviews (1 week)
Given how closely the DAO Committee must work together in order to accomplish its goals, it is important that they all work well together as a team. Furthermore, the existing DAO Committee members (having already earned the DAO’s trust) should act as additional filters in the selection process.
The existing DAO Committee should have 1 week to interview candidates as a panel.
Final community vote (2 weeks)
After the interview phase, the DAO Committee is responsible for creating a final proposal in the DAO listing their picks for the top 5 candidates. The DAO should implement a ranked choice voting system for committee member additions.
Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO