[DAO:qaudhgm] Enable .vrm support for Decentraland models

by 0x8b257b97c0e07e527b073b6513ba8ea659279b61 (Morph)

.vrm support for DCL avatars

What

VRM is the current leading model format for VR social applications & games. It’s an extended wrapper class around .glbs/gltf that can add additional complexity like jiggle bones, expressions and VR player mapping.

How

Decentraland’s human skeleton model is an exact match to the VRM-humanoid model, making this process feasible. We would not need to add jiggle bones or expressions, they are optional; The VR player mapping can be done in the .glb → .vrm conversion thanks to this already matching bone structure. A unity plugin, uniVRM, does this automatically already - we would need to implement this functionality in a pipeline that can automate this process.

Why

An API that can export the .vrm of a player would be incredibly useful, not only for the upcoming VR Client, but also for interoperability with all VR and non-VR games. The .vrm model is easily imported to external games, allowing our avatars to travel ‘across the metaverse’ without custom implementations and rigging.

This API should be locked so you can only export your current character, ensuring that you can only bring your current avatar into other games. This process would require an eth sign on API request to ensure the user has ownership, enabling DCL to remain in control of the ownership and creator rights.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this would be a powerful step forward for interoperability as well as avatar/wearable ownership, enabling a ‘one-click’ button to import DCL characters into other games. I already use my ‘morphbot’ avatar on both twitch and VRChat thanks to this process, but an automated API would unlock this for all users and developers.

Keen to hear thoughts and would love to hear the VR team’s feedback on whether this is being explored currently, the M3 org has also expressed interest in this, as it would enable import of DCL avatars to the webaverse’s upcoming MMO.

• Implement an API that can generate, cache, and export a user’s current model as .vrm
  • Do not implement, not useful
  • Unsure of feasibility to run and maintain
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

2 Likes

I would vote for a grant to work on this!

3 Likes

@mr0ng FYI you are probably interested in this :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great, thank you!

2 Likes

If anyone hasn’t seen what Morph has already done with his avatar, they should check it out. I love the idea of interoperability and being able to use our avatars in more dynamic ways.

4 Likes

This would be a great addition to the community, voted yes!

1 Like

this seems well thought out and would be amazing for interoperability across platforms

1 Like

Yes! I also love this proposal and am all about supporting interoperability:)

1 Like

Voting yes, but this should be a Grant request to actually implement it.

The API is actually already there, the only missing part is downloading all the current wearables, merging them and exporting as .vrm

Should be relatively straightforward to do, for example, on Blender

1 Like

I was gonna ask does this just allow the character and frame with animations or will this allow costume outfits as well. Cause that could definitely effect wearable creators.

1 Like

Bullish on this Proposal

1 Like

Enable .vrm support for Decentraland models

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Implement an api that can generate, cache, and export a user’s current model as .vrm 99% 2,346,073 VP (60 votes)
  • Do not implement, not useful 1% 5 VP (2 votes)
  • Unsure of feasibility to run and maintain 0% 0 VP (0 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

Enable .vrm support for Decentraland models

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)

1 Like

This has been finally built and released by Decentraland Foundation, congrats @yemel and team!

3 Likes

Love to see it!

Excited for what the future of DCL holds, now that we have VR compatible avatars we are also one step closer to webXR :robot: