[DAO:d96e8ba] [BID-0016] 0xChamp

by 0x4262f8bb5bd9ad132782d2a7279b532a1dc6bcbf (0xChamp)

Should funds from the DAO Treasury be allocated to finance a new community-led project addressing issues outlined herein?

Linked Tender Proposal

SDK Support Team

Budget

108,000 USD

Project duration

12 months

Delivery Date

Mar 31, 2025

Beneficiary address

0x4262f8BB5bd9Ad132782D2a7279b532A1DC6BCbF

Email address

ryan@wildernessp2e.com

Deliverables

Lead a SDK Support Team for Decentraland DAO

Background :

• Started developing on Decentraland in November 2021.
  • Founded Wilderness P2E and $ELO Chess Club and created countless memorable moments for the community.
  • Led the Technical team to develop these games and continuously push boundaries of the Decentraland SDK
  • Led the migration of Wilderness P2E to SDK 7 with near 100% feature parity
  • Led the creation of a Smart wearable (SDK7) for $ELO Chess Club with full chess playing functionality

Deliverables :

• atleast 6 Hours of Technical Support on discord (via #SDK channel on Decentraland Discord and any new dedicated channel created for support) during weekdays (Monday - Friday) with a response time of < 24 hours, and support on weekends with 24 hour - 48 hour response time.
  • Hire and manage upto 3 additional team members to assist in technical support depending on the needs of the community.
  • Migrate atleast 24 existing scenes to SDK 7
  • Create atleast 12 new documents/sample scenes
  • Conduct atleast 12 SDK7 Coding Workshops
  • Create and Maintain a registery of all issues reported by the community members, escalate them to the foundation depending on urgency and impact
  • Act as a link between the community, DAO and the foundation to ensure effective communication and prepare the community for SDK 6 sunset and any major changes.

Budget: Total Budget for this bid is between 36,000$ to 108,000$. Any unused budget will be returned to the DAO

Roadmap and milestones

Monthly Milestones

• Continued Support for any SDK/SDK7 migration issues via discord and maintainance of documents and registery of issues
  • Create atleast 1 new document/sample scene every month
  • Migrate 2 existing scenes to SDK 7 every month
  • Present monthly updates and reports tracking key metrics and finances
  • Host atleast 1 Live Coding Workshop every month
  • Share important information on new Decentraland & Decentraland SDK updates with the Decentraland DAO

Additional Milestones :

Month 1 :

• Introduce the new team to the community and address community queries and issues
  • Discuss with the community and evaluate the need to hire additional staff.

Month 2 :

• Create/Extend SDK 7 migration documentation with useful tips and tricks to migrate large projects
  • Hire and onboard the additional staff member(s) based on the need assessed in month 1.

Month 6 :

Month 7 :

• Hire and onboard the additional staff member(s) based on the need assessed in month 6.

Month 12 :

• Present a grant conclusion report with impact, key metrics and finances detailed for the community

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Hello, I do not understand the roadmap. The deliverables are not clear, the budget varies significantly and why does it take 7 months to hire or evaluate staff?

Please provide a clear direction on who/how/what/when you will deliver. Asking for direction from the community regarding a basic in staffing does not create confidence in your ability to deliver a final product.

Hi @DedHeadJ

The roadmap consists of regular milestones which are to be achieved every month :

MONTHLY MILESTONES

• Continued Support for any SDK/SDK7 migration issues via discord and maintainance of documents and registery of issues
  • Create atleast 1 new document/sample scene every month
  • Migrate 2 existing scenes to SDK 7 every month
  • Present monthly updates and reports tracking key metrics and finances
  • Host atleast 1 Live Coding Workshop every month
  • Share important information on new Decentraland & Decentraland SDK updates with the Decentraland DAO

Apart from these, there are some additional milestones planned :

ADDITIONAL MILESTONES :

Month 1 :

• Introduce the new team to the community and address community queries and issues

Month 2 :

• Create/Extend SDK 7 migration documentation with useful tips and tricks to migrate large projects
  • Hire and onboard the additional staff member(s) based on the need assessed in month 1.

Month 6 :

Month 7 :

• Hire and onboard the additional staff member(s) based on the need assessed in month 6.

Month 12 :

• Present a grant conclusion report with impact, key metrics and finances detailed for the community

The reason for flexible budget is that it is not clear to me how many scene-owners in the community will request SDK7 migration.
Hence, the budget varies according to the number of people I would hire to satisfy community demand. The plan is for me to start alone, discuss the needs with the community and hire upto 3 additional team members. As per the roadmap, this would be done in Month 1/2 and re-evaluated in Month 6/7,

The proposal has this structure as I think it offers an optimal spend for the DAO (Between $36,000 if the demand is low and additional $24,000 per member per year for any excess demand). Any unused funds will be go unclaimed/returned to the DAO.

Hi @Eibriel

Regarding your reason “Team members are not listed”, Please checkout my last comment for rationale behind this structure of the proposal.
I will be starting this team alone as the team leader (also performing technical duties) and hire additional staff members to help with migration by month 2 (via a very public process, with preference to existing DCL community coders due to familiarity with the platform).
I believe this is the most cost-effective way to setup this team and ensures a good return to the DAO.

If you still believe that having team members known before-hand is critical or don’t have faith in my ability to hire the correct personnel, I respect your decision.

I voted NO because you have been awarded $317,500.00 for your Elo Chess Club and Wilderness P2E games, and after receiving your second grant, I feel that your team stopped being consistently active in Decentraland. I supported your grant back then, and I thought your team was bringing a lot of value to Decentraland. Then after you received your grant, the parties, events, and social media posts seemed to come to a rapid halt.

Your second grant had a budget of $6,000.00 for “Social Media” and your social media activity declined rapidly after you received your second grant. Can you tell us what this $6,000.00 was spent on? Can you show receipts of advertising, social media subscriptions, etc, that would warrant that kind of a sum? Why did you stop hosting parties and events after you received your second grant?

In my opinion the projects that you have received this LARGE amount of money for have not stayed consistent, and I do not feel comfortable with you managing another DAO funded project when you have pivoted away from your own.

[BID-0016] 0xChamp

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 30% 2,014,138 VP (27 votes)
  • No 69% 4,498,234 VP (23 votes)
  • Abstain 1% 1,453 VP (2 votes)