[DAO: bafkrei] Should Decentraland have a mature content wearables filter?

by 0x6a77883ed4e65a1df591fda2f5252fd7c548f198 (Fancy)

SUMMARY

Create an OPTIONAL (opt in/out) mature content filter for wearables that may be deemed inappropriate or unprofessional.

ABSTRACT

As the wearables creator community has grown, a wide variety of items have been published that may upset individuals or groups. This poll is being presented to the community to determine if there is a want or need to filter (hide) some of the wearable designs which may cause cause discomfort to members of our growing community.

MOTIVATION

Decentraland is a globally accessible platform that invites users from all communities to be able to interact, build, and contribute to the social and economic aspects of the platform. Everyone should feel welcome and safe in our virtual world. Currently the decisions as to whether an item should be allowed or not allowed fall on the wearable curation team. This proposal aims to put the decision making in the hands of each individual user. Anyone could choose to allow all mature content to be shown, allow for some mature content, or select specific items they do not want to see.

SPECIFICATION

Proposed classes of items which might be considered mature would include sexually provocative items which ‘show too much skin’, weapons, and wearables which have blood. This proposal aims to put the decision making in the hands of each individual user. My goal in suggesting the creation of such a filter is NOT to censor anyone. I feel it would actually allow for even more mature content to be created.

IMPACTS

Anyone could choose to allow all mature content to be shown, allow for some mature content, or select specific items they do not want to see. By giving each user the ability to curate their own experience, the need to curate this aspect of wearables will be removed and the team to focus on more important issues. Implementation of this proposal could allow for more provocative wearable designs, more realistic weapon designs, and the approval of wearables which were not allowed due to violation of guidelines which the wearables curation team have to oblige by.

It would also allow for a more welcoming environment for users and communities who might use Decentraland if they had the ability to filter out mature content they don’t deem appropriate. Schools, business professionals, and other more conservative groups are among those who might benefit from the filters.

IMPLEMENTATION PATHWAYS

A default grouping system for each type of mature content themed wearable comes to mind. Each group could be toggled on and off at the users discretion. I’m suggesting one group for weapons, one group for sexually suggestive wearables, one group for wearables containing blood ect. This filter would need to be developed by the foundation or an external dev team for these default options.

The addition of an allow list and a block list which could be accessible in a user interface panel would also be greatly beneficial, so that specific wearables of a users choosing could be shown or hidden. By adding the contact address(es) of any wearable to the allow/block lists, literally any item could be hidden from view if a user chooses.

CONCLUSION

Everyone should feel safe and comfortable in DCL. This proposed solution would give the power of choice to each individual user, and allow content creators to express themselves in a fully decentralized way. If this poll meets the threshold for approval, I will work on developing a more in depth proposal. I understand there will be a cost associated with the development, and will recruit the assistance of qualified advisors to determine what an actual cost would be. My plan is to work with DAO committee members, code developers, and the community to make this proposal as solid and executable as possible.

• Yes
  • No
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

IMO that’s unecessary, if you have kids you should keep an eye on what they’re doing. On the DCL TOS it says you need to be at least 13 to use, and:

“[…]IF YOU ARE 13 OR OLDER BUT UNDER THE AGE OF 18, OR THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY WHERE YOU RESIDE IF THAT JURISDICTION HAS AN OLDER AGE OF MAJORITY, THEN YOU AGREE TO REVIEW THESE TERMS WITH YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN TO MAKE SURE THAT BOTH YOU AND YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS.”

I don’t think that this kind of censorship is a good thing for a decentralized platform, honestly. That’s basically hurting wearable creators/buyers because of some random kids and neglectful parents IMO

And honestly who here gives a fuck about conservative groups joining DCL?? We just saw the massacre that was the DAO proposal for bringing a christian church (99% rejection)

1 Like

IMO that’s unnecessary, if you have kids you should keep an eye on what they’re doing. On the DCL TOS it says you need to be at least 13 to use, and:

I’ve read the TOS in its entirety, and I am aware of the stance on children, which I agree with. I even quoted section 8 recently in the general chat of the discord in regards to an ongoing debate regarding pride wearables and children. I agree its a parents responsibility to moderate what their children do online. This isn’t about children specifically. Its about making everyone feel comfortable and welcome.

I don’t think that this kind of censorship is a good thing for a decentralized platform, honestly. That’s basically hurting wearable creators/buyers because of some random kids and neglectful parents IMO

It isn’t to censor anyone, quite the contrary. If you are against censorship maybe you should check out this forum post, specifically Fabee’s response to my question about the censorship of wearables. If passed, this proposal would allow creators to continue making whatever weapons, sexually suggestive wearables ect. they desired without any censorship.

And honestly who here gives a fuck about conservative groups joining DCL?? We just saw the massacre that was the DAO proposal for bringing a christian church (99% rejection)

I remember that proposal well. I will share my feedback on it below. But even as someone who identifies somewhere in-between agnostic/atheist, I still value members of my community who think differently than me, both IRL and in Decentraland. I’d say if someone who owns or rents land wants to hold private services for any religious following, what right do we have to stop them? They deserve the option to not have their worship intruded by a bunch of weed smoking, scantily dressed avatars. :rofl: Asking for 240k for the church of the Latin equivalent of Joel Osteen or another televangelist is quite different IMO.

I wouldn’t personally use the filter to hide anything at all. That isn’t why I made this proposal. Please review the proposal again and X1over’s most recent wearables submission, and I hope you will see that this isn’t about censorship at all. The whole filter would be optional. Meaning anyone could choose to use it or not.

Just a personal opinion on this topic, I think an adult filter is currently in development but also a large scale filter could be problematic.
From your example and something I was also looking at, that user has submitted the same AK-47 collection at least 3 times and every time received the same feedback. Then going ahead to ask the curator to reconsider his feedback:

This would become a guideline issue potentially.
Community voted for fantasy style weapons which has influenced how curators can approve, even though some weapons have slipped through I think people need to be respectful to the community when creating.
Not limited to weapons we’ve seen unnecessarily disrespectful representation of women submitted, designs that are violent and also designs that are a bit much. From a quality control perspective it would be an ideal world if creators just wouldn’t argue with feedback given to allow approval but sadly that’s not the case. So adding a filter like this will also allow for a lot of people that don’t want to respect the space, push the limits and boundaries of what’s acceptable and create an arguing point to say they don’t need to follow guidelines because the filter exists.

That’s currently my only thought around this, again I think the developers are looking at adult options for nudity or adult themed but to what extent I’m not sure. If anything people should be discussing as a community what is acceptable, how the platform should look and what should be implemented into the guidelines, not arguing with them.

Hopefully the guideline update will be implemented soon also which will avoid misunderstandings prior to publishing!

1 Like

Hey @michi,
Thanks for your perspective and thoughts on this poll. My take on Fabee’s comment was that the curation team doesn’t really want weapons at all.

This would become a guideline issue potentially.
Community voted for fantasy style weapons which has influenced how curators can approve, even though some weapons have slipped through I think people need to be respectful to the community when creating.

This is a vote I wasn’t aware of and would love to learn more, if anyone has a link to that governance poll/proposal. I don’t have any preference either way if a filter is added or not, I simply reached out to a portion of the community in @SinfulMeatStick and @Canessa 's twitter spaces for their thoughts yesterday, and we had a very lengthy discussion about it. This was simply my attempt to bring it to the next phase.

Not limited to weapons we’ve seen unnecessarily disrespectful representation of women submitted, designs that are violent and also designs that are a bit much. From a quality control perspective it would be an ideal world if creators just wouldn’t argue with feedback given to allow approval but sadly that’s not the case. So adding a filter like this will also allow for a lot of people that don’t want to respect the space, push the limits and boundaries of what’s acceptable and create an arguing point to say they don’t need to follow guidelines because the filter exists.

That’s currently my only thought around this, again I think the developers are looking at adult options for nudity or adult themed but to what extent I’m not sure. If anything people should be discussing as a community what is acceptable, how the platform should look and what should be implemented into the guidelines, not arguing with them.

I agree, that would be wonderful if people just accepted the feedback given. My intentions here were not to undermine the authority of the curation team who are simply following the guidelines that have apparently been established by the community. If there is something in the works already then this is definitely an unnecessary step and I have no intent to disrupt that process.

Since I’m merely a consumer, I’ve never actually read the wearables guidelines, but my understanding was that they were extremely outdated. Last I heard they were to be updated along with some of the other DOCS shortly after MVFW. If this happens I’m sure the creators might have more clarity on what is appropriate or not. I’ll go educate myself by reading the wearables guidelines in their entirety today.

Thanks again for your thoughts, and for your dedication to DCL. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hey, I feel we should wait for the updated guidelines before we pass something like this. I share @michi 's concern here.

imo Content Policy specifically

is pretty self explanatory which then creators should follow the wearable committee’s suggestion/advice on any further confusion the creator might have as to what the terms mean.
Having this said, I agree with the intention of this proposal.

2 Likes

Voting Yes, I’m all in on empowering users to filter the content they want or don’t want to see

I’m sure something like this is already in the works, just signaling my opinion here.

2 Likes

@Sannin, thank you for your feedback. If this poll should pass, I will wait for an updated guidelines before moving forward to a draft proposal.

I agree with your point about DCL’s stance on cruel/hate content. Additionally, I don’t feel that creator’s should argue with the feedback they are given, but the existence of previously approved wearables of similar content could be considered a double standard. Since there is currently no way to filter what one person may consider offensive that already exists. I believe that truly is needed.

@Eibriel Thank you for your thoughts and support. I agree that people should be able to curate the content they wish to see. If there is already a content filter in the works, I look forward to individuals being able to utilize it if they wish to do so.

2 Likes

Should Decentraland have a mature content wearables filter?

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 18% 172,202 VP (25 votes)
  • No 11% 107,802 VP (7 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 71% 659,406 VP (2 votes)
1 Like