[DAO: bafkrei] Should Decentraland DAO be incorporated?

by 0xd11a019a70986bd607cbc1c1f9ae221c78581f49 (Yemel)

Some jurisdictions are becoming DAO-friendly, check Marshall Islands and Wyoming as two options.

The benefits for the DAO:

• Hold Intelectual Property
  • Have a legal entity and a bank account
  • Limited liability to individual contributors

More Info:

I found MIDAO people in NYC and they suggested this course of action. I’m wondering how the community members feel about the idea of being incorporated.

• Good Idea
  • Good Idea, with concerns
  • Bad Idea
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Sounds like a great idea. My only (big) concern is: would this give whatever jurisdiction is chosen to legally incorporate the DAO any leverage over the DAO? (eg: ability to claim taxes on its income, or bind the DAO to comply with local laws of that jurisdiction?).

This could become problematic if for example the DAO is incorporated in USA and because of sanctions, the DAO can no longer make payments to Iran, Russia, etc. see: United States sanctions - Wikipedia

If this moves forwards, we should look for a neutral and “lightweight” jurisdiction. (maybe Marshall Islands, as you mentioned)

1 Like

The DAO committee needs to decentralize more if it doesn’t want to be concerned with jurisdictions.

1 Like

Should Decentraland DAO be incorporated?

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Good idea 1% 52 VP (4 votes)
  • Good idea, with concerns 7% 132,790 VP (5 votes)
  • Bad idea 92% 1,639,833 VP (4 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

Should Decentraland DAO be incorporated?

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)