[DAO:abe283d] Request for Tender for Financial Support Service

by 0x9937e3e274be96a624d7cd00f384eb71c741dd1b (Maryana)

Should funds from the DAO Treasury be allocated to finance a new community-led project addressing issues outlined herein?

Linked Pitch Proposal

Holistic Improvement of Decentraland DAO Finances

Summary

For the last year, Decentraland DAO has been discussing how to improve its financial reporting, financial sustainability and secure its long-term financial future. This is an important decision, and community members have shared a variety of perspectives on how they wish to proceed.

This tender will launch a bidding process for the creation of a Finance Support Service. This will enable Decentraland DAO to take a significant step towards addressing the ongoing challenges; providing financial transparency; helping the DAO to become a more sustainable, prosperous organization.

Problem Statement

Decentraland currently faces a number of major financial challenges, including:

• Monthly expenses surpass income
  • Lack of diversity and strength of DAOs income streams
  • Lack of robust financial reporting, planning and long-term budgeting
  • Concerns around the efficacy of the grants program and spending
  • Sell pressure on MANA and significant DAO dependence on the token.

Technical Specification

This tender invites service providers to provide a bid to become Decentraland’s Finance Support Service provider for a 6 month period.

Contributors and service providers are encouraged to place a bid that highlights their experience, role, and the responsibilities they would undertake. Service providers can submit only one bid. Services providers cannot, either directly or indirectly, deliver work as part of more than one bid (i.e. via a subcontracting relationship).

Suitable contributors and service providers in this role should be qualified finance professionals able to demonstrate a track record of delivering financial work for web3 organisations and DAOs. Bid submissions for Finance Support Service must be made within two weeks of this tender process being successfully approved by VP holders.

This gives service providers and contributors the flexibility to design and propose a Finance Support Service which they feel best serves the needs of the DAO. In turn, the DAO will have the opportunity to review and ultimately decide which Financial Support Service bid is the most suitable for their needs.

Use Cases

Successful delivery of the Finance Support Services would unlock a number of use cases and benefits for the DAO. This might include.

• Treasury Management will generate the single largest new revenue stream for DAO. This will fund ongoing DAO expenses in perpetuity and reduce them.
  • Financial reporting and bookkeeping will improve decision-making, and transparency and increase accountability.
  • Budget and Planning will improve resource allocation enable better financial management and increase the value of spend.
  • Market Making and Treasury Management will reduce DAO’s dependence on MANA. This will increase the stability, and resilience of the DAO in the face of market volatility.
  • Finance Support Services will increase the impact of the DAO, reduce sell pressure on MANA and support price appreciation.

Deliverables

Bidders are encouraged to identify and propose those services and deliverables they feel would be of most value to the DAO.
Bids deliverables may include but are not limited to:

• Financial Reporting
  • Bookkeeping
  • Live Analytics Dashboards
  • Market Making
  • Budgeting and long-term financial planning
  • Finance options assessments and recommendation reports
  • Treasury Management

Target Release Quarter

2024 Q3

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

A few thoughts on this proposal:

• I think treasury management and financial reporting should not be mixed.
  • Given the small size and activity of the DAO I think a single person is enough for taking care of the reporting side, no need for a whole team.
  • Diversifying the treasury into yield bearing assets with no exposure to MANA is a good idea.
  • There’s no need for a complex strategy, it’s just allocating a % of the treasury into stETH (ETH exposure, 3.3% APY) and sDAI (stable, 13% APY) or similar products. This can be executed by the DAO committee.
  • ~$250k/yr which is what has been asked for this service is outrageous. I would not pay 1/10th of that for the reporting service if it came out of my pocket. Also, for the treasury part, if we were to pay for it, it should be tied to the performance, and not a fixed fee. But as I said I would not let a service provider manage the treasury. I would not treat the DAO as a hedge fund.
  • Having 20-30 ppl vote on accessing the $30M treasury is just wrong.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi all, with the shared goal and mandate of preserving the assets and assuring the best present and future to Decentraland, the DCL Foundation Finance´s team reviewed the proposal and information related to the (Holistic Improvement of Decentraland DAO Finances) and also the Request for Tender for Financial Support Service and would like to share some open questions, comments and thoughts to work as additional feedback in evaluating the current proposal alternatives.

SUMMARY
The Finance Planning and the Treasury Management roles and duties should be clearly separated, providing more transparency and assurances to the DCL DAO. One service provider for both roles is not recommended. Strong suggestion to do two separate Tenders.

The Assets involved and Risks associated with the Management of a Treasury that as of April 4th, 2024 represents approx. US$40M available, should require (i) a clear and approved investment strategy, (ii) have a super secure investment vehicle (Vault, Multisigs), (iii) a clear and pre-defined investment approval process through a DAO Finance Committee or a new DAO Investment committee filled with experts, (iv) structure the engagement with the potential providers ensuring a clear Exit or Termination processes, and (v) the current highest VP available for decisions at the DAO (12M VP) or potentially, and even better, a special matrix approval.

A- Clear separation of duties between Finance Planning and Treasury Management:

• Does the DAO need finance & treasury management?

• Given (i) the size of the DAO´s treasury, (ii) the operational needs (grants, Squad and Committees members payments) and (iii) the treasury investment management (sell MANA for operational needs, diversifies the treasury position buying other assets such as BTC, ETH, or fiat?), it makes all the sense that these roles and needs are better covered and provided.
    • There’s no Squad or DAO Committee member managing the treasury or with the finance knowledge to do it and neither do they have the mandate to do it
  • There are different DCL DAO needs and duties and one thing is Finance Planning & Analysis and another is Treasury Management. And they should be separated and not as a one-service provider solution.

• From the finance, transparency and accounting side, there’s a role that is independent of the treasury management and more accounting and planning related (FP&A, financial planning and analysis is what the market and companies called it).

1. This role is mostly in accordance with the size of the organization Operations, and in the DCL DAO case, it is limited the number of transactions and hence the planning activity. So either a well experienced individual or a service from an organization could do the work and present a lot of value added but it is not complex
      2. This role should gather all the DAO information from Squads, grants and from MANA VC and other income and once all gathering and understanding is done present an annual budget and how it evolved during the year with its deviations or savings. As well as presenting targets for Grants to be allocated and in what areas.(financial reporting, planning and long-term budgeting)
      3. This specific FP&A job should represent a fix cost and, at market rates, it should be around USD 3,500 to 5,000 a month
      • (The description presented in the proposal is for a MUCH bigger organization. DCL DAO organization is small and simple)
    • The Treasury Management is separated from the finance planning role and has to do with (i) investments, (ii)asset management and allocation, (iii)structure to manage it (Vault, Multisig, etc), (iv) clear pre-defined goals by the DAO or an approved Treasury Committee that approves and reviews the investment strategy.

1. Given the DCL DAO needs, funding sources and goal of assuring DCL project long term funding, there is no necessity of a complex treasury management strategy but some basic diversification with stable coins and some other strong assets as BTC and ETH. As a community member mentioned, stETH that is ETH yields 3.3% and sDAI that is DAI yields 13%. There are also some other stable coin options yielding more than 6% (all in year returns)
      2. This can be done among other options by (i) the DCL DAO defining and approving a high level treasury management strategy (of the available funds, maintain x% in MANA, x% in stable, x% in BTC and x% in ETH for example) and operationalize through current vault or multisig provider solution, (ii) do a tender for this specific treasury service, (iii) create a Treasury Committee or Squad (3 Members?) that reviews and assures that the strategy is executed.
      3. Finally for a potential 3rd party treasury management provider, the DAO should offer and pay a minimum fixed fee (close to zero) and mostly or all subject to performance, positive results or as a success fee. (The proposal sent if a pure fix fee regardless of the results and treasury gains. So what is the incentive?)
  • Finance Planning and Analysis (FP&A) and Treasury Management are different roles and should not be mixed or evaluated together and mostly in an organization like the DCL DAO. For example the FP&A should assess independently the results of the treasury management. The separation of roles and duties will provide more transparency and assurances to the DCL DAO.

• Current proposals and Tender are (i) mixing the two roles or asking for a one combo solution, (ii) suggesting even a much broader scope than needed (new DAO revenue streams, definition of grants program)
    *** A strong suggestion is to do a tender for the FP&A service (r3gen being clearly an option) and a separate decision and tender if decided for the treasury management**

B- Treasury Management- Assets involved and Risks associated

• As everyone knows the DAO treasury is currently a result of: (a) the 10 year MANA VC as main funding source plus (b) an approx USD 12.2M equivalent accumulated in DAO revenues since 2020 received, ( c) less all the grants approved and paid, including Squads, and DAO Committee members payout
  • This is the DAO treasury position as of April 4th, 2024 representing approx. $40M available

• The treasury management proposal to be approved has to have (i) a clear and approved investment strategy, (ii) have a super secure investment vehicle (Vault, Multisigs) that allow future simple replacement of Managers, (iii) a clear and pre-defined investment approval process through a DAO Finance Committee or a new DAO Investment committee which both have to be approved and filled by finance and investment experienced people from community or DCL related
  • Potential failures or mistakes to the above may put DCL DAO treasury and self sustaining at risk, i.e. Decentraland project
  • As an option, Is it possible to diversify the risk by assigning management to more than one asset manager so that they can be compared and benchmarked? Or either to test different treasury structure solutions?

C- How to structure the engagement with the potential providers and assure a clear Exit or Termination processes

• This has to be clearly discussed and have it defined beforehand
  • Is there going to be an engagement agreement?
  • What would be the terms for the agreements? 6 months, 12 months?
  • Renewal and termination cases and process. How the hand over would be?
  • Who or which group, Squad or Committee from DAO can execute this?

D- Decision making process related to DAO’s treasury management

• Is it correct that a simple 6M voting power approval decides on the total DAO treasury Management? Currently we need 12M VP to approve a $240K- 6 months grant but only 6M VP to potentially manage the whole DAO treasury. Shouldn’t that decision be approved by a higher VP?
    • Do we need a special approval matrix for treasury management decisions?
    • Even if there were no effective payments made, the proposal is to delegate the treasury management of more than USD40M, can that be decided by 6M VP or few people of the community (currently less than 30)?
  • Going to Bidding and Tendering Process , which should always be the case for these services, has a limitation or risk that the supplier will be chosen by a simple majority of votes (according to the Binding and tendering flow approved by the DAO), right?
    • The tender for treasury management can be created and approved by 4M VP!
      Would that be enough support to manage such a big and critical treasury?
    • Who will evaluate that tender/bidding process besides the voting?
    • What is the criteria for selection? lowest cost, strongest background? Or just simple voting power. Could that be biased?
    • Will a DAO Finance/Treasury committee or group make a prior evaluation or selection?
      *** We are dealing with the MAIN and MAJOR DCL DAO and DCL project assets, its treasury!**

Voting No because “Treasury Management” is sending funds from the DAO Treasury to a defi dapp. This risky and centralized management of the treasury would pose a legitimate threat to the long term success of DCL because the funds can be lost or mishandled.

Hi @FinlegDCLFound, I appreciate the detailed and thoughtful response you’ve provided for this tender. It’s evident that the Foundation has invested considerable time and effort into researching this topic, and we appreciate that.

As a service provider eager to collaborate with Decentraland, I’d like to offer my own perspective:

Different organizations often adopt varied approaches to this topic. While larger organisations may separate these functions, I believe Decentraland’s size allows for their combination within one support service. There are evident synergies between treasury management and accounting/reporting that would make it challenging to approve one function without the other. We, r3gen, intend to work with Avantgarde to provide the best of both worlds by having each service perform delineated roles within a unified finance support service.

Though not a Treasury Manager, I believe many of your points make sense. The Treasury Manager should verify approved Investment Strategies with the DAO before implementation. This ensures the DAO maintains ultimate oversight and approval over proposed strategies. A framework for this can be outlined within the Treasury Manager’s service proposal. This means the DAO can ultimately determine whether the structure meets its requirements and address its concerns around risk.

These points are excellent and I would encourage all service providers to address them within their proposals. This allows different providers to outline their exit and termination conditions, empowering the DAO to evaluate and determine their comfort level with the proposed engagement structure.

What approach would you suggest for implementing these governance adjustments? Presently, the bidding and tender process is the sole active governance mechanism with which service providers can engage. I worry that waiting for the development of an alternative process or framework to determine selection and/or quorum levels could significantly prolong the timeline for procuring much-needed services for the DAO.

In conclusion, while I acknowledge and respect many of the points raised, I favour proceeding with this tender. I believe that many of the concerns raised can be directly addressed within the service provider’s proposal. These conversations have been rumbling for almost a year; I believe it is now time for the DAO to be given the opportunity to make a final decision on whether it wants a finance support services or not.

I’d be glad to have a direct conversation with the Foundation or other voters to address any concerns you may have. Feel free to contact me on Telegram: Telegram: Contact @Pepperoni_Jo3

1 Like

Quick and simple question:

Does this proposal allow a few individuals to transfer (“allocate”) the ~40M stored on the DAO to their will?

If yes, I believe it’s an easy NO

This proposal is a scam.

They want to deposit the DAO treasury on “enzyme finance MLN” which is a market cap rank 576 defi crypto… and then they want to independently use those funds to trade the market to earn profit or stake for yield.

The DAO should not allow anyone to have centralized control of the treasury.

As far as I understood, they would create a plan that would be voted on by the community then enacted by the DAO Committee.

1 Like

Hi all, here’s a response from representatives of Avantgarde Finance, who have been collaborating to spur the discussion around this tender and has shared ideas and answered numerous questions during multiple townhall calls in the past. We provide non-custodial treasury management services on $100M+ assets from DAOs like Nexus, Unslashed Finance, Human DAO, Ambire and others using the infrastructure of Ezyme, a DeFi asset management protocol that has been on mainnet since 2019 (formerly Melonport), is audited by Chain Security and has had a generous bug bounty on Immunefi since 2021.

We are grateful that the foundation acknowledges the need for finance & treasury management and the value of diversifying the treasury. We are happy that the constructive interactions with the DAO community and the Pitch proposal have brought engagement to this important topic and has helped the DAO take a positive step on its journey towards improved sustainability.

A1) Separation of duties - Whilst we recognise that FP&A and treasury management are distinct functions, we would highlight that there are many synergies between them which enable an integrated process to be of greater benefit to the DAO than the sum of their individual parts.

• Financial Reporting - knowing where you are.
  • Planning - deciding where you want to go.
  • Treasury Managing - implementing a strategy to maximise the probability of getting there.

Best practice, in our view, would be for the DAO’s financial objectives & plans to inform the treasury management strategy, and the realised cash flows feed back into the FP&A process to adjust planning through time based on market conditions. In simple terms: Before deciding how to get somewhere, you should decide where you want to go. And before deciding where to go, it makes sense to first know where you currently are. For the improvement of longer term sustainability, this should be an iterative process through time.

There are undoubtedly trade-offs to integrating both functions and we acknowledge the point regarding transparency and accountability, however these can be addressed in the way the solution is structured, with pre-agreed KPIs and deliverables for each function. Addressing how these trade-offs are managed, including transparency and accountability, are important discussions that should most certainly be addressed and we agree that the responsibility falls on each bidding party to provide the DAO community with the details as part of the process at the Bid stage.

A2) Treasury Management - points 1. & 2 (Decision Making & Strategy Specifics). From our perspective, we would welcome the creation of a formal committee to oversee the treasury management function as this is a common set up to facilitate decision making related to DAO treasuries. Though the specific elements around the approval process for a Treasury Committee may be beyond the scope of the tender at this specific stage, in our view bids could include suggestions on how service providers would interact with the relevant decision makers at the DAO, including a future DAO Treasury Committee or a relevant placeholder.

Regarding specifics around treasury management strategy, we feel it is important to highlight some key issues around points made in the foundation’s comments. Trivialising the process into a speculative exercise in choosing the asset(s) with the highest current yield, without any consideration for the financial positions and objectives of the DAO, is something we would caution against. We agree with previous comments that the DAO treasury should not be treated as a hedge fund (crowd sourced or otherwise). Without a robust strategy and decision making process which is (ideally) integrated with the DAO’s FP&A, the choice of “x% in MANA, x% in stable… etc.”, that pays no attention to risk or price impact on MANA, amounts to just speculation - in our view, the WHY and HOW are more important to long term sustainability than the WHAT in any given moment. We agree and would encourage that the efficacy of the treasury management strategy detailed by submitted bids should be what the DAO community should focus on, as opposed to specific allocations at a static point in time that take no consideration of the DAO’s specific needs and objectives. As highlighted above, the power of integrating treasury management with FP&A cannot be overstated.

A3) Treasury Management - point 3. (Performance Fees & 3rd Party Providers): While rewarding performance may have intuitive benefits in aligning incentives, it’s important to maintain a balanced approach that aligns incentives with the long-term sustainability and objectives of the DAO. Relying solely on performance fees incentivizes excessive risk-taking and is often the fee structure of choice for hedge funds, which is precisely the speculative risk profile the DAO treasury should avoid. Depending on the returns distribution of the portfolio, it can also often be the case that a performance fee results in a higher cost than other structures such as a fixed fee - for example, in the case of the liquid staking token stETH as mentioned above, the underlying 10% fees on staking rewards embedded in the Lido protocol would have amounted to ~$190k in costs on a $40m allocation based on longer term historical rewards. We acknowledge the impact of costs but there is no one-size-fits-all approach, and we encourage that submitted bids should include appropriate analysis on incentive structures where relevant.

A4) Balancing Free Advisory and Mutual Commitment: Related to incentives, we don’t believe that from a service provider perspective it is practical to request a full engagement before securing any financial commitment from the DAO. While it’s valuable to have an open conversation on all aspects of this mandate, it’s essential to strike a balance between providing guidance and ensuring commitment from all stakeholders, otherwise it would discourage bids from service providers. This approach fosters a more collaborative and efficient decision-making environment.

B) On Risk & Emphasising Security and Delegation: Having a secure and non-custodial setup with the option to revoke delegation is a given pre-requisite in this whole conversation. This foundational aspect ensures the integrity and safety of the financial operations within the DAO. It’s crucial for all participants and commenters to recognise that a trusted, centralised and custodial setup is NOT on the table from our perspective - and as further clarification to other forum comments, we agree that bids should directly address how their proposed infrastructure minimises security risks and includes checks & balances and further consensus/approval steps down the line to prevent the scenario where “a few individuals can allocate DAO funds at their will”.

C) On Engagement Structure & Termination: We acknowledge that bids should include details on the engagement terms and suggested termination process, including suggestions on interactions with DAO personnel where relevant.

D) Ensuring Fairness in Voting Thresholds: The suggestion for an ad hoc increase in VP thresholds is a broader discussion beyond the scope of this tender but raises questions of fairness. If these amounts comply with existing DAO rules and regulations, it seems unjust to impose additional restrictions. The DAO needs to uphold fairness and transparency in its governance processes to maintain trust and participation within the community and with respect to external service providers.

Closing Remarks: We are deeply encouraged by the engagement on this tender proposal and the acknowledgement of the need for holistic improvement of the DAO’s finances. We hope this can address any concerns and facilitate progression towards longer term sustainability for the DAO, to the benefit of the Decentraland community. We look forward to continued engagement and collaboration in this shared goal.

@maryana what is your role here? I am confused as you are the author, yet others are replying. This proposal does seem a little sketchy. I respect your opinion as a finance professional so I would really like to hear from you prior to voting.

Hi @DedHeadJ!

I should of clarified above. I am not affiliated/hired by any financial service providers listed/responding to this proposal. In addition, I did not draft the tender and simply only posted it. As one of the few finance community members, I assisted them with understanding our DAO and the current core units. Since it required 2.5k VP to activate a tender, I nuetrally posted it.

However, I will comment on my own personal thoughts this evening. (Its been a hectic March month with 3/31 quarter close & busy tax season!)

Tldr: The Financial reporting piece is needed. The Treasury mangement approach can be improved/re-proposed to ensure there is no risk to our treasury.

3 Likes

Request for Tender for Financial Support Service

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 23% 1,456,543 VP (17 votes)
  • No 59% 3,676,644 VP (9 votes)
  • Abstain 18% 1,147,957 VP (6 votes)