[DAO:a39122a] Renewal Grant Support Squad H1 2024 [Resubmission]

by 0xf0480e7b09edb7229d4f7b3b25ef77429c5754cf (Palewin)

Should the following $61,500 grant in the Core Unit category be approved?

Abstract

The Grant Support Squad is an important team for the DAO as long as the grants program exists. Currently, we are providing support and monitoring for 40 active grants. The Squad has 3 key objectives:

1. to analyze concerns from grantees and help recover funds if grants need to be revoked;

2. to provide support through the entire grant to drive grantees to success;

3. to collaborate in the creation of processes, improvements, and transparency in the grants program.

Based on the comments on the first version of this renewal, the budget was reduced by 35%: hourly rates for the team were reduced, advisor hours were cut by 50%, and the work hours for the rest of the team were reduced by 18% (non-fundamental tasks were cut).

Grant size

61,500 USD in DAI

Project duration

5 months

Beneficiary address

0x658497d7681e4Fb18C65AbD5Ce066A1e3082c1e5

Email address

palewin@decentraland.org

Description

Since Jun22, the Squad has worked with more than 190 grantees. We onboard them and provide support along the way. The team participated in governance processes updating the grants program, developed a grants landing page, published articles to showcase grants, provided transparency in public roadmaps, launched initiatives such as Testing Sessions, sent welcome kits to strengthen DCL brand awareness, and published a Manual of Operations. We have also created a Revocations Committee (RC), and so far we have recovered $433.778 DAI since this squad was created.

The GSS has been active and working under 3 main goals:

1) For taking care of DAO Treasury: $433.778 has been recovered.
Before establishing the RC, were our squad revoked vesting contracts based on gather information, engaging with the grantee, and seeking inputs from advisors to confirm or refute our findings. This approach served as a double-check on the information available. After nearly a year of following this procedure, our team and the community began to recognize that it concentrated a significant amount of power within a single entity. As a response to this concern, the RC was established through a governance proposal. Its purpose was to review our recommendations and allow grantees to engage with an impartial third party, thus ensuring a more fair and transparent process. In this stage, funds related to 8 projects were revoked or recovered, totaling $291,330 (all made possible thanks to investigations or interventions by the GSS) and 13 cases were dismissed.

2) For supporting grantees, we have onboarded 100% of the grantees that entered the Program. On our last renewal, while providing more than 784 hours of support, we shipped more than 45 onboarding kits to raise brand awareness. Since the squad was created, we have solved more than 128 problems/requests to lead grants to success. So far, we have also produced 20 articles, published in the DCL Blog about the work our grantees are doing. More recently we have launched Testing Sessions, to give the grantees a space to demo their projects and get feedback. So far we have hosted 27 sessions.

3) For fostering transparency & accountability, we have launched Public Roadmaps, to make a follow up on grants milestones and impact metrics to 100% of the projects (Grants’ Framework 2023). We are proud of having built a grants program with community input, with 16 step-by-step guides to provide transparency about our work: Grant Support Squad’s manual of operations. We’ve also created the DAO Grants Github REPO to compile all the available codes from open sourced grants.

And to make overall updates and changes to the grants program, we have published 11 governance proposals, and have done 9 pull requests made into docs.decentraland.org to update the Grants Program documentation. We have written security recommendations, and a sensitive data handling policy and we created the Grants Program Landing Page .

Here you can see our financial report (Jun to Nov23). It continues in comments.

Roadmap and milestones

Our work is a continuous effort of support, guidance, analysis, and accountability for grants projects, along with the ongoing effort to improve the Grants Program. That is why our roadmap includes the daily tasks we perform in an ongoing process. With the spirit of making our processes open, we have published a Grant Support Squad’s manual of operations in which you can find the description of the processes.

1) Take care of DAO Grants Treasury

• Analyze and elevate cases to the Revocations Committee provide support with meetings, advice, and contacts.
  • Report on funds recovered.
  • Collaborate with bidding and tendering process

2) Support Grant Projects

• Periodic Follow-up with grantees to identify problems and requests, audit the grant projects with onboardings, updating roadmaps, monthly calls and facilitating contacts.
  • Analyze problems and requests, identify and solve them.
  • Ensure the accessibility of information about the grants program and promoting grants work on blogposts.

3) Foster Transparency and accountability

• Write a status update monthly on grantees public roadmap, and provide spaces to share their work and gather feedback with Testing Sessions and Townhalls.
  • Provide information about the accountability of grants, by publishing concerns raised, and analyzing the cases.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

List of our impact metrics:

Support Grant Projects

• % onboarded grantees
  • % roadmaps updated per month
  • N° hs supporting grantees
  • N° blockers/requests identified & solved
  • N° articles produced
  • N° Monthly visitors on landing page

Foster Transparency & Accountability

• % grantees with a public roadmap created & updated to make process transparent
  • N° Testing Sessions held
  • N° attendees to Testing sessions
  • N° Grantees showcased on Town Halls
  • N° concerns received & published for transparency and accountability purposes
  • N° concerns analyzed
  • N° Updates from open source grants by forking them to the DAO Grants Github REPO.

Preserve of the DAO Grants Treasury

• N° cases elevated to Revocations Committee
  • N° hs supporting the Revocations Committee
  • N° cases revoked / resumed
  • $ recovered to the DAO treasury

Make a better grants program

• N° governance proposals published to adapt grants program to community needs
  • N° onboarding kits sent
  • N° pull requests made into decentraland docs

Important note

Based on the comments on the first version of this renewal, the budget was reduced by 35%: hourly rates for the team were reduced, advisor hours were cut by 50%, and the work hours for the rest of the team were reduced by 18% (non-fundamental tasks were cut).

Remaining funds from the last grant ($14.700) will be used to cover: 1) operational costs (2,400), 2) complete the pending swag shipments due to missing addresses of some grantees ($3,700), and 3) pay pending blogs ($600). $8000 allocated for travel in the last grant period were not used as it was decided to allocate them for Devcon 2024. If the trip does not take place, these funds will be returned.

Thanks everyone for your support.

I made a mistake on the submission. On Yararasita’s section: she’s working 5 months (5h/week) for 5 months . Sorry!

I have had a great experience with @fifitango she showed us as a grantee what it takes to be a gss member! She was very interested in the project and did actually do her checks and also most importantly the way she was looking into everything and checking everything made me and @didiimakiii very happy.

What I dont understand is what does Zino to earn 4k a month, other then showing the opposite of everything fifi did right. Shows no interest looks bored to do his job in my personal opinion.
cant justify giving him 4k for an average salary because I dont believe he deserves it.

Cant say the same for pablo lewin and yararasita I haven’t meet them in a call so I wont judge them.

If this comes to pass I genuinely believe that fifi needs a promotion and zino a demotion.

1 Like

I would prefer to see the hourly wages drop down to geographical and region compensation rates and not the hours. High hourly wages long term on the Dao treasury isn’t sustainable.

If you look for a source here you have it:

Source <

there is no reason wages should vary based on a persons location. We all work in the metaverse not in argentina or the US. Should a person who is traveling or living abroad adjust their wage for every country they are in ? this argument makes no sense

2 Likes

If @MetaTrekkers is using HP logic which is a DAO comittee member, chris is right here.
Unless its a double standard from @HPrivakos

1 Like

5k a month is a lot in every cases. We should not base ourselves on salaries in the US which are absolutely mental.
I also don’t see what being a DAO Committee changes in any of that.

2 Likes

I am using your statements because I trust in your credibility more then anyone else.

I honor your position meaning nothing other then that its a position with high responsibility and me tagging you is because you are a experienced creator for both the dao and decentraland.

I just recall you point other people on this and you have said those many times publicly and couldn’t agree with you more. Unless its your selective opinion, can’t really look into your brain.

1 Like

Amazing how easy this got resubmitted for 34K less after some getting the heat from “community”.

1 Like

Can be less if the proposal I submitted went through it could have been 48k for a whole year.
So not only cheaper also longer :man_shrugging:t2:

And the price would be 1k a month which pretty high for a job anyone working at a callcenter can do.

1 Like

Reposting our comment on the previous grant proposal, and the review is based on the experience of Soul Magic as a grantee. The overall experience communicating with GSS has been smooth, and the GSS has shown the commitment to support us on our needs. From the beginning of our grant, GSS was prompt to be in touch with us, set up milestones and proactive to help us solve the blockers along our project development. The team has been responsive to queries and follow ups. In my opinion, GSS is doing a great job in fostering a positive and supportive grantee experience, that deserves to be recognized.

1 Like

GSS is critical to prevent abuses by grantees. I’ll match this grant so that perverse incentives don’t get on the way of their effectiveness. Shaving the budget of our anti-corruption squad is not the right thing to do when grants are creating awkward situations.

2 Likes

I agree on this but per 5 months 60k is too much for such a job.
I know for a fact I can assemble a team of 4 for a whole year for even cheaper then this current one,to do the exact same job for 1k a month which equals to 1,000 x 4 x 12 = 48k.

4 people that are total active
with each covering 4 x 6 hours of the whole day except weekends for a full year.

With these rates:
The DAO pays 13,500 less
The DAO gets 6 months for free + on top of it.

Don’t you agree that if we can pay less for a longer period of time that this current model isn’t worth passing?

1 Like

Sugar club here . I am one of the oldest content creator on this platform ( active since 2017!) and last year I applied for a grant to support my ongoing activities in Decentraland .

Now that my grant is coming to a close I can gladly say that the GSS has been instrumental in helping me navigate the grant process during the last 12 months .

There were times I wanted to quit but thanks to the help and monthly support from @palewin i could find the resources needed to continue my journey as a content creator .

That is why I am happy to support their grant . Good luck :+1:

1 Like

Voting NO. In my opinion, there was recently an unjust review of grant cases, like with Serena’s. Her grant was halted, stopping all her planned activities she had been hardly working on.

This is a sign that there should be a rotation in the squad - new members should come in!

They have already received three grants. Maybe it’s time to give others the opportunity?!

There can’t be a monopoly in such an important branch of a DAO as Grants Management!

Do the current GSS members want to manage grants forever? That’s not a DAO but a dictatorship.

3 Likes

Fifi has been really good to me too, that doesn’t mean the whole squad needs to be overpaid and to be honest because they have been good to us doesn’t mean they have been that way to everyone else. We can’t overpay people for having a great experience. Emotions and Money should never be mixed with each other.

Btw its just a reply not looking to hurt you just trying to elaborate. I still like what you have been doing so its nothing personal. :heart:

@InJesterr It’s not about being good to us, reread my message .

Their work has been instrumental in helping me navigate my grant and my roadmap to its completion . So it was a very effective support for me personally and I am showing support for its continuation .