[DAO:9b4df6b] Communuity Card Game Module Expansion - More Games

by 0xc24789c6f165329290ddd3fbeac3b6842a294003

Should the following Tier 2: up to $3,000 USD in MANA, one-time payment grant in the Gaming category be approved?

Abstract

I am seeking funding for further development of the community card game module. This module currently provides all functions required for users to create their own card games in Decentraland. The module also comes pre-packed with two playable card games (Patience and FreeCell Solitaire). Check it out here!

The proposed additions are 4 new card games, with the purpose to provide more content to users and put the module’s current interfaces to the test.

Grant size

3,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0xC24789C6f165329290Ddd3fBEac3b6842a294003

Email address

thecryptotrader69@gmail.com

Description

Card games have been, and still are, a massively popular type of game. While there are a few places in Decentraland where users can participate in card games, there are very few resources for the community to use when developing or deploying their own card games. By providing better access to modules for developing entertainment content we could further cement Decentraland as one of the best places to participate in metaverse gaming.

Currently the community card game module provides all the utilities required to manage collections of cards (hands, decks, stacks, and slides) and create 3D card games within Decentraland. The main system creates game tables that can host several different types of card games and an effort has been made to optimise the code to reduce the strain on scene resources. The module also features two fully incorporated card games (Patience and FreeCell Solitaire), showcasing its current functionality.

By expanding the community card game module and adding additional card games we can further test the limitation of the current set of utilities, as well as providing more content for the platform. With the development of card games that have more unique rulesets we can also ensure that the module has robust functionality before making it multiplayer (It will save a lot of time finding underdeveloped areas before we begin adding netcode). It will also provide a great opportunity to monitor and detect in-scene resource limitations, making it necessary to further optimise the function.

Specification

The following card games will be added to the community card game module:

Spider Solitaire, Pyramid Solitaire, Accordion, Tri Peaks Solitaire

These card games have been targeted due to their varied rule-sets, which will likely require the development of additional features into the module.

All coding resources and source code will remain available to the community through the current github repository.

Personnel

I’ll be working on this project solo. I’ve been programming for over a decade, with a primary focus on gaming, and I’m currently employed as a software engineer (working mainly with C and Java). Over the past year I’ve been developing open-source projects through the DCL SDK with the primary goal of creating baseline content and examples for the community so we can pro. I have a firm understanding of the development pipe-line and I have already completed several projects on the platform.

You can also play some of my previous projects here:

Minesweeper

Checkers

Roadmap and milestones

This project will be completed within 2 weeks of this proposal’s acceptance. The basic roadmap is as follows:

Week 1: Implementation of additional card games
Week 2: Scene/code polish, implementation of suggested features within scope

As with any project, there will likely be bugs/flaws in implementation. I’ll be maintaining the main repository and will work towards fixing these as they get flagged.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Communuity Card Game Module Expansion - More Games

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 99% 1,794,047 VP (57 votes)
  • No 1% 3,655 VP (5 votes)

Communuity Card Game Module Expansion - More Games

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfe91c0c482e09600f2d1dbca10fd705bc6de60bc)

Enacting Transaction: Ethereum Transaction Hash (Txhash) Details | Etherscan