by 0x1b35f4d22b2c8bc706bcfcc383a1ca77fb4fc600 (punkpink)
There is a possibility of a future bullish market that could attract a large number of new users to Decentraland. We must be aware that Decentraland may not be prepared for massive adoption, primarily because during crowded events, loading speed can be extremely slow, making gameplay sometimes impossible. One potential change to enhance platform loading time could be to reduce the number of triangles in avatars and attempt to limit colliders in upcoming buildings. It is essential to note that these changes may not completely solve the problem but could bring us closer to a faster and more accessible platform for users.
This plan consists of two points:
1) Reducing the number of triangles in base avatars by approximately 1,000 triangles
The current avatar base hands have 1,200 triangles each, which is a significantly high percentage of triangles for an avatar, and of course relevant if we manage to have 1,000 users in the same scene, since this would be 1.2M triangles. The hands in the base avatar could be replaced with simpler ones. (NOTE: This change would only apply to the base model; the Handwear category would still exist, and wearables in this category would allow users to retain fingers and perform finger-moving emotes.)
2) Advocating in the documentation for buildings to only have colliders on walls (not on glass, objects, NPCs, or anything other than opaque walls):
This measure would only take effect in the medium to long term, as existing buildings cannot be modified. This point would involve modifying the documentation to encourage buildings not to contain colliders.
- Community conflict: Many creators, including myself, may not appreciate additional limitations that could restrict creativity. Some individuals might see this as an impediment to their artistic freedom, potentially creating conflict.
- Uncertain impact: The final impact on loading speed during massive events is unknown.
- Reduction in quality: While justifiable, reducing the quality of basic avatars’ finger emotes and using simpler hands is still a graphical quality reduction that needs evaluation.
- Discrimination: New users or those not acquiring fingered Handwear may feel their avatars are more limited, potentially leading to a sense of injustice.
- Less appealing to creators: Increasing limitations on creators could be a barrier for future creators.
I am unsure if this plan is viable, as the potential increase in loading speed may be minimal. If anyone has a better idea, please share it in the comments. The goal of this poll is not only to gauge community sentiment but also to debate what can be done about this issue. I believe comments may be more useful than votes, as this is a complex decision with many nuances. Experienced individuals are encouraged to highlight the pros and cons of this proposal to assess whether it is worth pursuing. I also appreciate input from creators, as these changes may impact our artistic freedom to some extent. If this idea moves forward and no one is willing, I could create the meshes for the base avatar hands, of course for free. Therefore, do you think it’s worth reducing avatar triangles and omitting some colliders in buildings to improve loading speed?
- The impact may be significant, and we should continue on this path.
- The impact may be optimal, and we should delve deeper into this idea.
- The impact may be minimal, and it is not worth making this change.
- Invalid question/options