[DAO:7fc59ba] Starter (Beginner) Pack for 1st Time Users from our Talented Designers. Funded by DCL or Community

Fire marketing department and hire people who actually use and understand the platform.

I could write a much longer, softer, version of that sentence, but at the core the issue appears to be the marketing department have no idea what they are trying to sell.

They should be targeting creators and builders and leveraging the DAO treasury and grant system as incentive for people to invest time and energy into building in the space.

“a billion-dollar sandbox where you can explore the future of building in the metaverse” would be infinitely better than whatever these never-ending series of mediocre “brand activations” are.

1 Like

Fire marketing department and hire people who actually use and understand the platform.

I like this approach. We could easily make this happen through DAO.

One of my DCL first experiences were Happy New Year quests where I received my first wearables, it was exciting :cowboy_hat_face:

All that’s required is for wearable and emote creators to design high mintage nft’s and automatically drop them into the first time users wallets.

IMO all or some of them can be given for passing missions/quests, which also can be educational.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think quests are perfect way for approaching new users. They get to see the mechanics, get rewarded but most importantly become familiar with the platform.

I voted Invalid not because I don’t think this is a good idea, but I just think there needs to be further development and testing with the new Tutorial World that Jason and Cheddar both posted about before funding another onboarding project. We may find that this isn’t an effective way to onboard users. Not enough information yet. I also still believe we are in a building/optimizing phase and onboarding a ton of new users right now may not be the right move.

1 Like

I think you missed the point. We are not saying this tutorial must be used for onboarding process. Tutorial was only an example because;

A) It already exists, therefore, there is no need to build or fund one.

B) Once the quest is completed user automatically receives a free emote & wearable. This becomes an incentive because user receives something back in return for participating, trialing Decentraland.

C) User interacts with game mechanics, visuals, movements etc… which are identical to what he/she would experience in genesis world anyhow.

We can’t wait for DCL to be fully built in order to attain new users. Fully built/developed Decentraland is still a couple of years away & this still should not stop us from attracting new crowds. I find this type of argument very pessimistic and not constructive at all. Especially coming from a creator, game developer.

I would love to hear from others if they have a different approach. We are not here to fight, instead collaborative on the consensus for what is best for Decentraland & it’s future.

I agree with Jarod. It would be wise to increase the utility of the wearables. I know that ClarCrypto has tied some of his in world NFTs to provide discounts at physical shops in Singapore. It is possible to list polygon NFTs in your MetaMask wallet. There must be some way to use them to authenticate holders and give them a discount.

With my Giving Tree project, new users must interact with a “mentor” and demonstrate things they have learned. This one on one interaction won’t scale well but it will ensure quality. Moving slowly because we are in a hurry kind of thinking.

Giving a new user an item simply because they are new sets the wrong kind of precedent. I’d like there to be some expectation, achievement, level up. That will give the item the new user receives more value because they worked for it and earned it. If there’s no skin in the game, will the new user develope a sense of ownership?

I struggled through archaic idiosyncrasies in DCL before I knew my way around. Not everyone will suffer through a morass of confusing glitches to appreciate the good things of this realm. In education it’s called the “zone of proximal development”(ZPD). With support from someone else who has more knowledge, a learner can grow and develop rapidly. They may be close to learning the new skill. With a bit of scaffolding and assistance they can achieve their goals.

DCL could benefit from having some form of referral system. Having a way to track new users, where they came from, who is more likely to stick around, and why will enable us to intelligently direct resources in the future. Our largest area of growth is with Cosplayers aged 18-24 from the Pacific Islands? Then we should probably stop paying attention to 40-55 year old architects from Eastern Europe. Just as a hypothetical.

2 Likes

This is brilliant Scott. Thank you.

How about all the brands DCL worked with so far. Would they be willing to give some kind of a discount IRL. Discount email vouchers maybe.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as against this idea. I just think there could be ways that the community, creators, and builders can contribute to this tutorial world. It’s an open-source repo so we can make changes/additions to it to beef it up, use this to attract new users, and determine if it’s a good tool or not. My invalid vote was just purely for the idea of creating a collection just to give away free wearables. There were several of us creators who created a free pride collection last year and it went over fairly well but was hard to onboard users with just that collection alone.

I think we all should be contributing to some of these open sources so it’s not just all on the foundation to build out. I didn’t mean to sound pessimistic, but as a creator and game maker I think we need to build to buy a little more time for the foundation to fix stability issues (which they are in the process of). I mean fashion week was a perfect example. How many articles come out and talked about poor first-time user experiences this year? All of them. At least all 6 that I’ve read so far. My pessimism is purely from the facts and data. Out of 350+ who visited my world, 0 crashed. Of the 1500+ who visited my Genesis plot, the majority crashed. Again to my point, I think we all need to contribute to making that tutorial world beefier and put out a pull request to the foundation once it’s completed.

3 Likes

Voting no because I like what the foundation has created in their new tutorial where you complete tasks and get wearables. I’d like to give that a chance and see how it is received before funding anything else. I’ll continue to give out free wearables not just to help new users, but to support existing creators in our community.

1 Like

Starter (Beginner) Pack for 1st Time Users from our Talented Designers. Funded by DCL or Community.

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 53% 1,213,010 VP (128 votes)
  • No 25% 603,798 VP (10 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 22% 520,587 VP (27 votes)

Starter (Beginner) Pack for 1st Time Users from our Talented Designers. Funded by DCL or Community.

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)