by 0xb89ba583541aeba63b8553d512af24d4b4aa1373 (Swordpony)
Should the following $20,000 grant in the Sponsorship category be approved?
The Bridg3 Metaverse Hackathon in Finland is designed to inspire students to explore the Decentraland’s potential and revolutionize education. We seek your support for a dedicated Decentraland challenge that encourages students to design an open-source, virtual 3D University Campus in Decentraland Worlds. This challenge sets the stage and aims to collect ideas for the upcoming Decentraland Campus project, slated for development after summer in collaboration with the University of Tampere, The Good Cartel, ECIU (The European Consortium of Innovative Universities), and Adventure Club, a verified Decentraland partner. Ultimately advancing Decentralands educational impact among students, universities and faculty.
Why Vote YES for this Proposal?
- Position Decentraland as a trailblazer in the future of education, engaging student builders and new audiences to enhance brand recognition
- Ensure community access and contributions through the open-source nature of the project
- Foster a sense of ownership and creativity among students by utilizing Decentraland Worlds Beta, delivering dozens of new experiences being built
- Share learnings from the hackathon in a comprehensive report for the community’s benefit
Challenge Description - Trailblazing Education in Decentraland
The challenge is to craft a mini 3D showroom that envisions the future of campus life in Decentraland, featuring immersive visuals, videos, and 3D content. This initiative aims to bolster collaboration between universities, students, and upcoming Decentraland educational ventures. To foster community engagement and ownership, a voting mechanism (Snapshot) will be implemented for students to select their favorite Worlds.
The initiative shares Decentraland’s commitment to open-source principles and seeks to provide all students with free access to test ideas and build within Decentraland thru complimentary access to Decentraland Worlds. The seasoned Adventure Club team delivers five days of hands-on mentorship for a powerful learning experience and valuable outcomes.
Tech Being Used
Students will gain hands-on experience developing within the Decentraland Builder and sharing creations within Decentraland Worlds Beta. While the emphasis of learning will focus on the more accessible non-coding aspects of the Decentraland Builder environment, students with some coding experience will have the opportunity to experiment with the latest Decentraland tools such as the Decentraland Editor where students will become familiar with creating, debugging, and publishing scenes within Decentraland Worlds.
Additionally, students will explore:
- The latest SDK 7 to gain an introduction to the latest features.
- How to manage multiple projects via workspaces and code versioning via Github.
- Using debugging tools such as scene stats to form an intuition about scene performance and user experience.
- Sharing Learnings and Results
Bridg3 Hackathon Overview
The month-long hackathon has leading industry experts as mentors and partners such as the City of Tampere and YLE. The finals will be held during Tampere Smart City Week, attracting 2,800+ guests from 20+ countries. YLE as our partner will provide free nationwide media coverage, showcasing the best of Decentraland Worlds and inspiring the Web2 audience. This will provide Decentraland with valuable marketing exposure. As TampereES co-organizes the hackathon, we ensure it focuses on creating a lasting impact and fostering a thriving student community in Decentraland.
- The Hackathon website bridg3.co
- The Good Cartel https://www.goodcartel.xyz/ 1
- TampereES https://tamperees.com/
- Tampere Smart City Week https://www.tscec.fi/en/
Changes in Submission
- Clear scope and technical framework of the challenge, led by verified DCL partner Adventure Club
- Sharing learnings for DAO
- Budget changes
- More mentoring
- Claiming Worlds to students
- Bigger price pool
We have established a well-defined hackathon timeline focused on delivering concrete results, as outlined below:
- April - Team building assistance through Discord and in-person matchmaking events.
- May 5th - Hackathon launch, unveiling challenges and mentors. Online-streamed keynotes and in-person mentoring sessions
- Mentoring continues online via The Good Cartel Discord server
- May 16 - Midway checkpoint, featuring online-streamed keynotes and in-person mentoring sessions
- May 30-31st - Final checkpoint, offering in-person mentoring and hybrid pitching training sessions
- June 4th - 6th - Open community voting for the top 10 finalists
- June 6th - Bridg3 Finald at Tampere Smart City Week at Nokia Arena, keynote from Marja Konttinen from Decentraland, winner announcements
- Hackathon solutions will remain open for further development, fostering ongoing collaboration and growth
A comprehensive report will be compiled detailing the key learnings and insights gained during the event. This report will highlight successful strategies, innovative ideas, and areas for improvement, providing valuable information on what worked and what didn’t. The project also aims to join a Town Hall to share the findings with the Decentraland community. This collaborative approach ensures that the entire community can benefit from the lessons learned and contribute to the ongoing evolution of the Virtual University Campus in Decentraland.