[DAO:51c6200] Increase Voting Threshold for Modifying LAND or Estate Smart Contracts

by 0x247e0896706bb09245549e476257a0a1129db418 (LordLike)

This proposal aims to establish an appropriate threshold for modifying LAND or Estate smart contracts in order to secure them.

As the DAO owns both LAND and Estate smart contracts and governs them, any modifications (excluding security-related ones that require immediate action) must be supported by the community using the DAO governance process and carried out by the Security Advisory Board (SAB) and DAO Committee.

With the increasing DAO activity and voting power participation, the current Governance Proposal Passage Threshold of 6 million Voting Power is becoming relatively small for making such important changes as Land and Estate smart contracts modification.

Currently, the DAO proposal with the highest amount of total Voting Power has 20,950,876.

Establishing an up-to-date threshold for modifying the critical smart contracts will ensure that all changes are approved by a community majority.

This will help prevent any potential illegitimate changes and ensure that the Decentraland ecosystem remains secure and stable.

VOTING OPTIONS:

YES: I support this idea. Let’s hold a community discussion and reach consensus on Voting Threshold for modifying LAND or Estate smart contracts.

NO: I believe that the current Governance Proposal Threshold is sufficient.

• YES
  • NO
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Could you possibly include some examples and any pros and cons? Might be helpful. I’m leaning towards yes but a little more information would be useful.

1 Like

Hi, sure, thanks for comment.

pros:

• Ensures that modifications to critical smart contracts are approved by a community majority, which helps to prevent any potential illegitimate changes and maintain the security and stability of the Decentraland ecosystem.

• Reflects the increasing DAO activity and voting power participation, ensuring that the governance process remains aligned with the interests of the community.

cons:

• A higher voting threshold may increase the time and effort required to make modifications to smart contracts, which could potentially slow down the development and innovation within the ecosystem. I don’t know if its cons because such modification cant be made on quick hand.
1 Like

Example - suppose few significant VP holders decide to increase Genesis City size.

They vote for it. Suppose other community members don’t catch up due to different life situations and there isn’t enough Voting Power to make opposition to their voting for increasing Genesis City size.

Proposal passes 6 million voting threshold and a very important decision is made without the majority of the community. IMO such decisions as Land modifications should be made as collectively as possible, taking into account the current activity of the DAO and the number of participating VP, current 6M Threshold is too small.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand enough ab this.

While it seems like a good idea to revisit contracts and governance around them, now that we have more activity here — I’m not sure that the contracts are more secure or not by doing so.

I’d be interested to hear from any of the committees or anyone from the SAB to chime in.

1 Like

I like the idea of open conversation. Let’s see where this goes.

1 Like

Increase Voting Threshold for Modifying LAND or Estate Smart Contracts

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 99% 1,876,807 VP (124 votes)
  • No 1% 1 VP (1 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 0% 0 VP (1 votes)

Increase Voting Threshold for Modifying LAND or Estate Smart Contracts

This proposal has been PASSED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbfa6d24e6a061e9aea3447163fdfe045177dd40e)

Does anyone know if this ever went anywhere?

I’m trying to find some props @web3nit has started and seen through to passed governance.