[DAO:3d5b6a1] Should we raise the minimum age requirement for Decentraland to 18+ years?

by 0xd4f1cab694c4424c4796549edbb9b489789f4df5 (TudaMoon)

Introduction

This is to start a discussion. I currently do not have a strong opinion, but I think it is something to consider for the future. The reason I bring this up, is that 18 years of age is a legal age in many places where most adult experiences can be enjoyed.

My Opinion:

I personally feel it may be difficult to cater to non-adults when 16 and 17 year old’s are the age range that must be family friendly. I do feel like many marketing firms are looking to define the target audience and sell to adults. Many 16 and 17 year old users do not make enough money to participate in a lot of events or wear different digital fashions and such. Many of this is money gated.

Then also to think in some places, the digital clothing choices by users can be inappropriate for 16 year old’s. I am not for censorship, but I do think raising this age requirement removes responsibility on Decentraland for making sure outfits are appropriate and such. Right now there is nothing against Adult lingerie wearables and such.

I also think it could be a concern for predators and such in the future, which that will be a whole new compliance issue. Making sure moderators are modding all conversations to scope out child predators. This is asking for conversations and privacy to be invaded.

These are just my opinions, not really based on much. Just brainstorming.

Conclusion

I would love to see what this poll says and whether or not to move forward with raising the age limit to 18 and older. Either way, I hope you share your thoughts in the comments and let’s get this discussion going. Thank you!

• Raise to 18 and older
  • Keep Same
  • Invalid question/options

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

You want to BAN all users under a certain age? Seems like discrimination to me… How does that go with the ethos of decentralization?

Did you ever go into AOL chat rooms in the 90s? Did you have social media before age 18?

You write, “These are just my opinions, not really based on much…”

Why are we using the DAO to post random rants with NO facts for basis?

1 Like

If anything we should lower the age barrier to 13-17

Should we raise the minimum age requirement for Decentraland to 18+ years?

This proposal is now in status: FINISHED.

Voting Results:

• Raise to 18 and older 1% 725 VP (18 votes)
  • Keep same 98% 6,354,950 VP (75 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 1% 1,488 VP (2 votes)

Should we raise the minimum age requirement for Decentraland to 18+ years?

This proposal has been REJECTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xfb1afa4dc069ffb47b19dbee196045d508fcd5a2)