[DAO:3a27103] Allow building simple Websites on top of Decentraland Names

by 0xbc02db030361121dd43bbb2fcbcb4f9f98c1dc7d (Jedi)

Linked Draft Proposal

Allow building simple Websites on top of Decentraland Names

Summary

Allow building simple Websites on top of Decentraland Names.

There are two options to choose from

1 - Incorporate this feature into current website decentraland.org

2 - Incorporate this feature into dcl.gg

Abstract

This proposal is a small adjustment to recently passed Governance Proposal. See blow.

Under the specifications there is a option for Simple one page Landing pages or Webpages function. I would like this to be extended from one page to 5 or 10 pages for building websites. Considering the average desktop webpage is 2.2 Mb and average mobile webpages are 2 Mb, I say we can allocate some of the 100 Mb given to DCL names for this implementation.

I believe this keeps us innovative and seeing how the digital identities and decentralised domain names have become more relevant in the recent years, this will be a great addition and perhaps an even greater marketing strategy for Decentraland.
Should DCL Names have the option to build 5-10 page websites?

Motivation

Digital Identity should be more than just converting 42-character hexadecimal addresses into a human readable names.

If we want to stay innovative we must go above & beyond what others are doing. There are a bunch of Free Web3 names names including Uniswap’s uni.eth & Pudgy Penguins pudgy.eth. To be honest in terms of utility they don’t provide anything fancy beside being a human readable wallet address. Decentraland names on the other hand are extremely unique and are packed with built-in utility.

One of them is the “Worlds” as you all might now. However it seems the overall impact we received from activating the Worlds hasn’t been too succesful.

So far there are 750 “Worlds” deployed on 40K .dcl.eth names and

54 “Worlds” deployed on 3.2M .eth names

I wouldn’t call this a great success as the numbers speak for themselves. Nothing to brag about TBH.

I believe Decentraland names possess more potential & are the gateway for the platforms mass adoption.

My suggestion is to allow building simple websites on top of Decentraland names. This feature will grab the attention of Web2 users specifically. Which is what we want because our target potential users are non-crypto native Web2 users.

Specification

There will be two options to choose from based on the community votes.

1 - Incorporate this feature into current website decentraland.org

2 - Incorporate this feature into dcl.gg

Option 1

Incorporate this feature into current website decentraland.org

By choosing this option our team will incorporate website building functions and features along with deploying functionality all within decentraland.org

My thoughts on Option 1: Decentraland.org is a full blown website with so many links, slides info etc. which can be little overwhelming for a new user to navigate. Sharing the website tied to dcl name may be very long & not easy to remember unless it can be re-directed.

Option 2

Incorporate this feature into dcl.gg

By choosing this option our team will incorporate website building functions and features along with deploying functionality all within dcl.gg

My thoughts on Option 2: dcl.gg is an excellent domain name and gg is a gamer tag which stands for “Good Game” I’m pretty sure we all knew that. Thinking if dcl.gg makes sharing the website url shorter this might also be a good solution. i.e. jedi.dcl.gg or dcl.gg/jedi

Please note; regardless of which option the community chooses, this will be all tied to DCL names. One name per website. Website to be very simple & not have any e-commerce features.

Impacts

In my opinion this inititave, feature or added funtionality keeps us innovative from the others. Also seeing how digital identities & decentralized domains have become more relevant in the recent years, this will be a great addition to and perhaps an even greater marketing strategy for Decentraland.

Implementation Pathways

There are a few ways in how this can ne implemented. One is to implement it on the current website www.decentraland.org and the other option is to implement it on dcl.gg website.

Regardless of the option, accessing these websites should be simple & frictionless. Perhaps not even requiring a crypto wallet. That is of course if we agree that our target is non-crypto native Web2 users.

This can be done with email or maybe similar to current website revamp where there are multiple sign-in options. Crypto & Social sign-in.

Our Foundation team has all the tools & expertise to bring this into reality. Perhaps we can garner other communities to come to DCL through this initative. Meaning anyone who is looking or wanting to build a simple website where they don’t have to pay for hosting, yearly renewals etc…

Conclusion

Overall I believe this is a great proposal for Decentraland. Perhaps this can drive additional traffic from other centralized Web2 social platforms into DCL.

Would be a great way to share across all social platforms & if it gains attractions others would want to use it on their social as a link similar to Linktree for example.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Dear @Fehz @Ivey

Kindly contact the team responsible for forum moderation. Referring to others as “Idiot” contradicts the values of collaboration and unity fundamental to the DAO’s ethos.

Regards

Dear Customer,

Thanks for reaching out! We have told you and other community members several times that the forum moderation works with a flagging system to report incidents and to keep track of them.

Best regards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your swift action and response; I’m grateful for it.

Allow building simple Websites on top of Decentraland Names

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 72% 9,191,402 VP (47 votes)
  • No 24% 3,205,088 VP (29 votes)
  • Abstain 4% 545,502 VP (5 votes)