[DAO:36eaa00] Does Decentraland need to allocate more resources to ensuring scenes can handle higher capacity of users?

While I agree this proposal solves nothing, only to bring awareness of the issue, there is a need for someone to track down the problem and provide a solution. If its a DCL server issue then provide a work around or fix, if it turns out that it is a scene builder problem then provide guidance to scene builders so they can adhere to guidelines and not have this crashing issue.

This seems to be a recent development, not limited to just one scene. I have been frequenting Metazoo Friday Night Club Night for over a year, but it has been crashing like this for only the past month or so. Yesterday’s Holy Ones party and the Frost Monarch burn party on Sept. 30th at Dice Masters are other examples of this crash.

It is weird that these crashes do not occur for me when I use a browser VPN plugin to “disappear”. When using this VPN I cannot see anyone else nor can they see me, I am totally alone in scene. This is the only way I can attend parties which sucks because I cannot communicate with other attendees. I can go to the most crowded party realm in DCL with my VPN on and no crashes, but soon as I turn it off and people start loading in for me, that is when the scene crashes. I am by no means a technical person with this kind of issue, but IMO that tells me it is an attendance issue, not a scene builder issue. It is quite strange that this issue seems to have started around the time emotes were allowed, I would suggest a more technically inclined person investigate this.

1 Like

Just to add some anecdotal evidence, I attended three events yesterday and experienced similar issues at all three. The first event (Rage) I arrived after there were over 20 people already there, and had to refresh multiple times to load just the live stream music and have my avatar participate in autodance. At no point did more than 5 other avatars load in, and I went no more than 5-7 minutes without getting the fatal error screen. After giving up there I attempted to go to Metazoo, which had more attendees than Rage at the time, and loaded in unable to move my avatar, with no UI, no music, and invisible avatars. On the third refresh, the scene elements worked but no one else would load, and I got the fatal error less than a minute later. Then, I hopped over very early to the Holy Ones opening event that at the time only had 8 users and arrived with no issues. I stayed until the event began and didn’t crash or experience any issues for over 45 minutes until the crowd started growing and then the crashes started again.

We experienced similar issues at a Dice Masters event on Sept. 30th, and weren’t using live streaming so I don’t know that it can be explicitly connected to live stream events.

3 Likes

I agree.

Is there a better process to go with then? I am sincerely asking, because this is ridiculous, that the foundation wants to point fingers at the Users and scene devs, or too many triangles lol. How about they upgrade their system to make it so it can’t “break” as easy.

Last couple of days its just unplayable to be in DCL, the realms cant keep more than 40 people to not crush i see ghosts all the time even im a poker player i have a issue i cant see tables and last few days i need like 10 to 20 minutes to load a scene on poker, its just super unplayable to be and play in this metaverse.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty impossible when you cant find 80 people in Decentraland. But you want us to walk scene to scene together to find the issue? Ofcourse the scenes with no dev will probably not encounter any issues. But the question is, why are these developed scenes so easy to “break?”

I am not technical at all however I do go to A LOT of the parties and the crashing and fatal errors have become very frequent. I attempted to attend the Jagermeister Lesbian Bar Project and crashed 5 times in about a 20-minute period. Yesterday I had to refresh and jump back in during the Rage event and had to completely reboot my computer at Metazoo multiple times because everything just froze. During the opening of The Holy Ones Temple, I documented 19 times that I had to refresh to get back into the event. Almost every time that I visit Butterfly Prawn I crash at least once. Even in Petaverse when there are only 1 or 2 users I have had to refresh. It seems to be a DCL wide problem, but I wonder if the influx of new emotes have caused a much more frequent issue. I am really happy we are having this discussion; I just hope this will lead to a real proposal with a valid solution in the near future.

1 Like

The game is way too laggy. Scenes needs to be improved… Can’t go 5 parcels away before, the scenes have a hard time to load… We need to improve the game drasticly if we want DCL to suceed. 100% we need to have focus on this, and soon!

It’s always hard, when onboarding new users and land-buyers, land-renters for me… It’s always a discussion when they take a look around, how tought it even is to walk around.

So i vote yes, we need dev’s focus on this.
For a better DCL.

1 Like

I agree this should be a priority. Not only have scenes been crashing with minimal users and taking a long time to load when you walk up to them, but also just loading Decentraland and getting in-world seems to take a lot longer the last couple of weeks.

2 Likes

Sugarclub chipping here! . I can confirm the crashes happen pretty much all the time at events . In last 2 events also very much so. @HPrivakos helps me with the streams but that doesn’t really help the crashes afaik.

2 Likes

Does Decentraland need to allocate more resources to ensuring scenes can handle higher capacity of users?

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 49% 1,286,139 VP (67 votes)
  • No 0% 0 VP (0 votes)
  • Invalid question/options 51% 1,288,049 VP (25 votes)

Definitely, it is a big issue that needs to be fixed as it is also impacting the growth of Decentraland.

1 Like