[DAO:36eaa00] Does Decentraland need to allocate more resources to ensuring scenes can handle higher capacity of users?

Happens in our scene (144,-7) too when we get over 15-20 people at the same spot. I think the problem has been there for at least 1-2 months. Multiple people have experienced this issue in various scenes when there are over 15-20 people

3 Likes

Does it only happen when you stream? I’m trying to gather reports, and it seems to only be at events with live streaming.
I asked a few people who reported crashes with 15 people scene to test at DG scene with 80 users right now, and it’s working fine for all of them

4 Likes

Yeah I believe so. Hard to tell for sure tho since most scenes usually have a screen up.

2 Likes

You can request that to change here and request all solutions here. Again I just see you brining up issues (which is good) but no solutions. Let me know when you got a solution to pitch so I can vote and support. No point in brining up issues with no solution. Thanks.

3 Likes

I am not technical bro! I know this is a weakness. I am user who is passionate. I am no expert, however there is an issue. Is there not? Share the solution if you know the answer.

1 Like

Thank you!!! Much appreciated!!

1 Like

Haha I hear ya bro but again the best way to find solutions is to figure it out or team up with someone that can. Because if not then we are wasting everyones time and using this DOA process as a place to complain and vent which I don’t belive it is intended for. Again intention is good and I look forward to voting on your solution.

1 Like

We had a few new users coming to Decentraland for the first time, heres one of them from tonight

Then we wonder why we cant get new users on board…

This is a poll to move forward. This is the process they have for the foundation to make changes. This is a foundational change. Otherwise I would.

This is the quality Rage uses as well as the Holy Temple was using. Both were crashing!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the problem is related to the streaming solution used.
They are likely transcoding into multiple resolutions and the client doesn’t like it (never has).
That problem was not an issue in the past because most people were using services that were not transcoding, means the streams were in a single resolution and bitrate (like my service or rtmp-server.com), but with LivePeer being easy to use and accessible, several people started using it and
LivePeer is transcoding the flux it receives into several resolution and bitrate, the client is switching between them depending on your connection, which in theory is good, but was never properly supported by the client.

1 Like

I do believe we were streaming on rtmp server for the Holy Temple. Please check with David.

However, if this is common, then how can Decentraland embrace this behavior? I am stuck on this - if we are blaming many scene devs putting their scene together improperly, is there a commonality?

Is this happening when there are multiple video screens? If so, are all instances of the video screen using the same Material instance and VideoTexture instance?

If an error is being thrown inside the browser console, this has nothing to do with DCL’s server resources and points to something potentially being wrong within the scene code. We can’t allocate DAO funds to solve an issue unless we completely rule that out and actually can point to what problem would need to be fixed. If we are seeing 5xx HTTP responses from Decentraland APIs, that would be evidence of a server issue.

Actually, they are decentralized in that you can just set up your own infrastructure and make it as robust as you want. Then propose to add it to the catalyst network.

https://docs.decentraland.org/contributor/tutorials/how-to-run-a-catalyst/

1 Like

They are using LivePeer, you can configure LivePeer to transcode to a single resolution and bitrate, that will likely solve the issue, David might try the next event on Monday with my server to confirm the crashes are due to the streaming through LivePeer

1 Like

This was also a problem at the Jagermeister Lesbian Bar event yesterday. People kept crashing repeatedly. A lot of new users were there, and it was frustrating to try and tell them this is just “business as usual”. I crashed around 10 times.

Some people have found that certain emotes will crash another avatar if the user does it enough. Is there any possibility that the sudden influx of emotes are having an effect on crashing avatars?

2 Likes

They keep acting like it’s not a problem. There were 3-4 new users at the Holy Temple launch which basically quit DCL. They say it’s the scene devs or many other factors. But why not enchanted DCL so these factors are less of issues…

1 Like

But why is every scene having issues?

Have you actually surveyed every scene operator or been to every scene and seen this happen every time? Disproving that hypothesis would actually be a pretty valuable test to do. If you can find scenes where this isn’t happening, that could provide some clues. Has anyone had this issue at any of Samsung’s recent events? They have a large build with multiple video screens and I haven’t personally had or heard of any issues with crashing there.

This issue has a much better chance of being taken seriously, found, and fixed if we provide detailed reproduction steps like @menduz asked for, rather than speaking in hyperbole and absolutes like “every”, “always”, “only”, “never”, etc.

1 Like

Lol remembered my first proposal https://governance.decentraland.org/proposal/?id=9f2959d0-637a-11ec-8188-4352ce3d30e7 :joy:

My new macbook pro handles with DCL pretty good but before that on pro 2017 it hardly crashed and got heated asap.

This is issue that need to be solved asap, Decentraland must handle users without lagging,bugging,crashing. While DCL gives grants for games, people cant play normally that games.

Also I saw some FUD-like news https://www.coindesk.com/web3/2022/10/07/its-lonely-in-the-metaverse-decentralands-38-daily-active-users-in-a-13b-ecosystem/.

Maybe we can have law suit on trash talkers ??

1 Like