[DAO:0d76551] Meta Residence Tower by 8Meta

by 0xa7f8a55dbec4a7060631a9d571b4ea0edc14ca3c (8MetaPlay)

Should the following Tier 5: up to $120,000 USD, 6 months vesting (1 month cliff) grant in the Gaming category be approved?

Abstract

Meta Residence Tower - is a unique apartment building in Decentraland that offers users the opportunity to own private homes in the virtual world.
It includes 10,000 flats in various layouts and features public spaces, galleries, and retail spaces.
Owners can customize their apartments, invite friends, and even make their apartments public spaces for parties and events.
The building also includes game mechanics such as caring for a virtual pet and cleaning the apartment to earn rewards.

Grant size

120,000 USD

Beneficiary address

0xb12ba0b2dc9d9811a7e3b1f76b3f8318bcb58f20

Email address

8metaballs@protonmail.com

Description

The Meta Residence Tower is the first apartment building in Decentraland,
with the ability to accommodate up to 10,000 NFT key owners simultaneously.
It has 100 floors with 100 apartments on each floor, as well as elevators to move between floors and access apartments using NFT keys.
Apartment owners can also invite guests by providing a pin code.
The building features six types of apartments, from studios to penthouses,
and includes a complete builder with the ability to place, move, rotate, remove, and save furniture.
It also has a store for furniture and decor elements that can be purchased with internal currency or MANA

Video of Gameplay

Specification

Progress Made So Far:

• Building models, lobbies, floors
  • Six types of apartments, from studios to penthouses
  • Implemented mechanics that users do not see each other where it is not necessary. But they see each other if they are in a common area, on the same floor, or if they are guests of the same apartment.
  • Apartment numbering, with two towers and 50 apartments in each
  • Elevator to move between floors
  • Private access to apartments by NFT key
  • Ability to invite guests by providing a pin code
  • Possibility of making the apartment public
  • Avatar and owner’s name on the door
  • View from the apartment depending on the floor
  • Complete builder with ability to place, move, rotate, remove, and save furniture
  • Ten furniture categories
  • Over 200 furniture items
  • Over 100 kinds of floors and wallpapers, with the ability to make different floors and wallpapers for different rooms.
  • Internal currency and store for furniture and decor elements that can be purchased with internal currency or MANA
  • Mechanics of dirt and cleaning the apartment, with rewards for cleaning

The Meta Residence Tower project is in the development stage beyond MVP and is scheduled to go live in January.

Project Goals:

• Provide a unique living experience for Decentraland users
  • Create a thriving, vibrant community within the Meta Residence Tower

Project Outcomes:

• 10,000 NFT flats available for purchase
  • Public spaces, galleries, and retail spaces available within the building
  • In-game mechanics and activities, including caring for a virtual pet and cleaning the apartment
  • Customization options for apartments, including furniture and decor elements

Revenue Generation:

• Sale of NFT flats (10,000 items)
  • Sale of retail spaces
  • Sale of in-game items, such as furniture and decor
  • Sale of in-game NFTs, such as boombox radios and NFT frames
  • Sale of Pets and accessories for them.
  • Royalties from the secondary market

Contribution to the Community:

• Attract new and returning users to Decentraland
  • Return 20% of sales to the Decentraland DAO each month until we pay the grant off. So we plan to return all money from that grant.
  • Provide resources and guidance on migrating to the Decentraland SDK 7 once it is released

Personnel

The Team

8MetaTeam, with over a year of daily development experience and a history of delivering two complete,
solid games for a previous grant received in 2022.

• 8MetaBalls, an old-school billiard game with multiplayer, PvC, and Arcade modes. Twitter
  • 8MetaPawns is a chess game with multiplayer, four levels of AI, and NFTs. Twitter
  • The team has also developed the Meta Residence Tower, which was not part of the grant plans.
  • The team received a grant based on six months of development but ended up using the funds for eight months of work.

The team consists of developers from different countries. We have started as a team of two, now we are eight.

• Tony - Core Dev (full-time) - Russia
  • Vitally - Operation, Game Design (full-time)- Spain
  • Alex - 3D Modeller (full-time) - Ukraine
  • Alex - TypeScript Developer (full-time) - Georgia
  • Nikita - TypeScript Developer (full-time) - Russia
  • Victor - TypeScript Developer (full-time) - Russia
  • Helen - web designer (full-time) - Ukraine
  • Mithra - community manager (full-time) - Iran

Roadmap and milestones

Roadmap

Q1-2023:

• Write smart contracts for selling different types of flats
  • Community building and marketing campaign, with the start of the sale of flats
  • Add more furniture
  • Finish the user interface
  • Dashboards for managing flat features
  • Pets, with game mechanics for it
  • In-game NFTs, such as boombox radios with the ability to change music and NFT frames to display NFTs owned by the user, etc.

Q2-2023:

• Retail spaces with the ability to place wearables, NFTs, and sell them directly from Decentraland
  • Fee for creators’ sales
  • Flat rent feature,
  • Cleaners and game mechanics for cleaners
  • Migrate codebase to SDK 7, with tutorials on migrating and rewriting main elements

Also, we will continue to support and develop Billiard and Chess games.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

1 Like

It seems to be a very cool project, but it seems you don’t really need a grant. You already have a way to generate revenue by selling 10k NFTs.
I feel like that grant is just giving money to your company without anything in returns. (Refunding a grant should be a minimum to do (which you would do), not something the DAO should be grateful for.)
As the project is being heavily funded by the DAO, wouldn’t it be more fair to send 100% of the revenue to the DAO until it’s refunded, then send 5% forever to the DAO as a thank you for the startup money.

Will that project be fully open source?

2 Likes

what a nice idea! :sunglasses:

Voting No because:

1. You can generate revenue by selling the apartments
  2. Why on earth we would have non-appealing north-American style skyscrapers in the metaverse when we could have gorgeous buildings of all sizes and shapes without physics constraints?!?!?!?!!?
1 Like

It actually feels backwards for me to be voting NO on this since it’s something I want!
But as others have stated, selling NFTs could fund the project. Depending on price, I would buy one.

Vote: NO

What is the demand for virtual apartment buildings? Do you have an existing consumer base that has asked for this sort of product/service?

The hallway is the most curious part of your design. Hallways are a necessary means of getting to an apartment but what utility do they have in a virtual realm? Couldn’t an NFT holder walk into the lobby of the apartment and then be transported to their apartment? With instancing couldn’t the structure look like anything and not be bound by a physical architecture layout?

This is such a bummer. I have been wanting to create something like this since the moment I stepped into DCL. I’ve even tried accomplishing similar things on my own. I have 0 doubts that this would be successful. However, I do not see a need for a grant whatsoever. 10,000 keys at the right price point, which I think would be pretty high depending on the variant of the apartment, can generate a significant amount of money. Especially with that JUST being the sales from the keys themselves. Not counting all the decorative items.

Project Goals:

• Provide a unique living experience for Decentraland users
  • Create a thriving, vibrant community within the Meta Residence Tower

These to me are not measurable goals but rather emotions behind the experience. Which are great to have, but easily achieved.

Project Outcomes:

• 10,000 NFT flats available for purchase
  • Public spaces, galleries, and retail spaces available within the building
  • In-game mechanics and activities, including caring for a virtual pet and cleaning the apartment
  • Customization options for apartments, including furniture and decor elements

These don’t sound like “outcomes” but rather already achieved milestones.

Contribution to the Community:

• Attract new and returning users to Decentraland
  • Return 20% of sales to the Decentraland DAO each month until we pay the grant off. So we plan to return all money from that grant.
  • Provide resources and guidance on migrating to the Decentraland SDK 7 once it is released

How do you plan to achieve these contributions? I really don’t understand the relevance of the SDK 7 resources. Doesn’t seem project specific to me.

You also list your whole team as full time insinuating that this is already a funded entity.

It would be good to know how many holders you have and any links to the existing 200 furniture pieces (only a few are shown in the video). As well as any marketing plans stating that you’re going to create marketing campaigns don’t really tell us much. Lastly, I have to agree with Gino that this is a very simplistic style and appeases really to one demographic. I’d like to see a variety of styles and creativeness with the decorative assets/apartment layouts. This is a digital world after all where creativity is limitless.

I am very disappointed that this wasn’t properly organized because this is something I want SO badly.

I think that the 8MetaPlay team does not need funding from the DAO. And now I will try to explain why:

The 8MetaPlay team has already received a $120,000 grant to create billiards and new games within the Game Center. Until now, it was not known how the funds were received from the DAO, because no significant updates were noticed that were not new games - chess, the implementation of which, in my opinion, is not the most frequent (there is a full-fledged video tutorial on creating chess on the Internet ).
Also, the team did not use the planned reports for 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th months. A total of 4/6 required updates on the grant page are missing.

Screenshot-2022-12-30-at-16-01-49.png

The team already has a project using NFT and most of it is stored on the 8metaballs account (89%) and only 4% are unique owners. That is about 66 people.

Screenshot-2022-12-30-at-16-03-34.png

Also, some goals of the last project were not achieved:

Screenshot-2022-12-30-at-16-04-38.png

There were also no updates, news and announcements in the project’s discord server. Almost the same players take part in activities such as weekly tournaments and so on.

Group-1-2.png

In the support channels, players write about bugs, but no one answers them, and if they do, they ask them not to take any actions that could ruin the gameplay. The project’s discord left me with strange feelings.

bugs.png

2 Likes

After analyzing the transactions of the grant and the beneficiary, you can see that the funds were paid monthly to different wallets (interestingly, none of the wallets is a decentraland account, that is, it does not have a name or any wearables, some kind of decentraland activity. The exception is Carlo - Discord moderator Also, some funds were used to deposit on the centre.io platform. What is it and why were funds from the grant sent there? You can study all transactions in more detail at the link below:

Funding from the last grant ended on November 8 and it looks like the project team needs money again. How much has the $120,000 investment paid off for the decentraland DAO? How many new users did the 8MetaPlay project attract? And how much will a project that asks for $120,000 again attract? How successful is this investment? All these activities are created again for ALREADY existing decentraland users. How is the project going to attract new users to the metaverse?

I would like the 8MetaPlay team to elaborate on the distribution of funds received from the previous grant and provide detailed information on the distribution of funds in the new grant.

2 Likes

I completely forgot to insert a link to the prev grant - [Resubmission] 8MetaBalls

2 Likes

Interesting info. thanks for doing the legwork. :+1:

Meta Residence Tower by 8Meta

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 7% 501,021 VP (82 votes)
  • No 93% 6,611,841 VP (142 votes)