[DAO:0a381d0] Support Team for SDK Migration

by 0x5b5cc427c1d81db4f94de4d51d85ce122d63e244 (Fehz)

Should the problem/opportunity outlined be refined and taken to the next level?

Problem Statement

Decentraland DAO is currently facing a critical challenge with the transition to SDK7. The migration process involves significant changes, and without dedicated support, developers may face obstacles, leading to disruptions in project timelines, increased development costs, and potential user experience issues.

Moreover, many projects which have been successful on previous SDK versions, now face the risk of complications that could render them obsolete in the short term. This situation not only jeopardizes the innovation and creativity these projects bring to the metaverse but also raises the specter of wasted funds that the DAO has previously invested in these projects.

Proposed Solution

To address the challenges associated with the SDK7 migration, we propose the creation of a specialized “Support Team for SDK Migration.” This team should consist of experienced developers, project managers, and community liaisons dedicated to assisting developers throughout the migration process. The support team should offer:

• Technical Guidance: Expert advice on navigating the SDK7 features and addressing compatibility issues.
  • Documentation: Comprehensive guides and documentation to ease the migration process for developers of all skill levels.
  • Bug Resolution: Quick identification and resolution of SDK7-related bugs to ensure a seamless transition.
  • Community Engagement: Regular communication and engagement with the Decentraland developer community to address concerns through open sessions, workshops, one-on-one meetings, etc.

Target Audience/Customer Base

The primary audience for this support team includes Decentraland developers, both individual and team-based, who are actively working on projects within the Decentraland ecosystem.

Why is this relevant now?

The urgency of this proposal is underscored by the imminent SDK6 sunset. As technology evolves, staying up to date is not just an option but a necessity. By establishing the Support Team for SDK7 Migration, the DAO can proactively address challenges, ensuring a smooth transition for developers and creators.

Timely support will minimize disruptions, maintain developer confidence, and contribute to the overall growth of the ecosystem. The creation of a dedicated Support Team for SDK7 Migration is a strategic investment in the continued success and innovation of Decentraland DAO.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Hey everyone!

If this passes we should have serious discussions about a potential Service Level Agreement with the following points:

-Overview
-Scope
-Support Hours
-Response time
-Documentation
-Metrics
-Communication Channels

We can also start gathering inputs in this proposal :slight_smile:

Oh my. Decentraland DAO is currently facing a critical challenge with everything. Starting from the OGs & the awesome builders that left the community, the DAO drainers, other con artists, scams, too much centralization with the web2 spaces affiliated with DCL and many more. What I see here @Fehz, is another grant request incoming.

Lets first work on other important things, b4 asking for another obsolete grant.

best regards,
mazafaka

ps

Because you like to silence and ban people for their opinions, I have copy of this comment both on ipfs and arweave.

Reading through this pitch sounds like it’s not really a solution. It sounds like it’s just another advisory group. Which is not needed. Most projects are struggling with the migration due to lack of development funds, not lack of SDK knowledge.

2 Likes

Completely agree. Why waste money on a group that tells you what to do, rather than groups that will do it for you. This is a complete waste of funds imho, to have a few grandmasters sitting on a mountain for us to ask about SDK7 conversion? We need a reality check.

1 Like

Hey Fehz I dont agree to create such a team because the documentation is pretty clear to work with, the only issue with SDK7 conversion is that its annoying and takes time. It isn’t hard. If you were able to make something with SDK6 I believe you also do have the capability to make it in SDK7.

Also long term when everybody is already used to the SDK7 this team wouldn’t be needed anymore.

We did our SDK7 conversion on @DuelArenap2e in a month without an extra grant or whatever, it wasn’t a real challenge tbh as I said it was just time consuming.

What I can suggest is to hire a general developer team like helping on all- time issues.
This team will also be useful if it turned from sdk7 to 8 to 9 to help long term.

Let me know what you think.

1 Like

Long story short we built a PVP on SDK6 and now being told we have to rebuild from ground up for SDK7 and never got to launch it lol. I have some people that said they may be able to help with this tho to help save costs we are talking to now. I am not sure if this is the solution or not but just sharing this data point on that there is def a demand on migration in the community in case if helps.

Thanks @NikkiFuego @DOCTORdripp for your feedback! It’s REALLY important to have your point of view for this.

This specific pitch proposal was somethig that came out from a Strategic Planning session a couple of weeks ago, as one of the possible pathways to help developers with the SDK migration.

Other options that @maryana and other community members presented are available in the 8° Strategic Planning Session Summary which you can find below:

1. Support Team for SDK7 Migration
    Establishment of a dedicated team of developers to assist projects and scene operators with the migration to SDK7. Recognition of the significance of community involvement and collaboration in the migration process. If we define a scope for this, we could totally create a pitch proposal to gauge community sentiment.

2. SDK7 Budget for 2024
    Proposal to allocate a specific budget for SDK7 development in the upcoming year. Ensuring financial support for the migration process and new SDK features.

3. SDK7 Grants and Reimbursement: Introduction of a reimbursement system for existing grants willing to upgrade to SDK7. Criteria for reimbursement based on the original or last coding budget, encouraging timely upgrades and rewarding proactivity. Consideration of the overall grant size and functionality checks by approved coders before fund release.

We’ve chosen to start with this pitch proposal because was the easiest way to gauge community sentiment on this issue and to propose a straightforward solution in the short term.

@InJesterr

What I can suggest is to hire a general developer team like helping on all- time issues.
This team will also be useful if it turned from sdk7 to 8 to 9 to help long term.

This is an interesting one… We thought about this pitch as something to address the current situtation in the short term (with a clear beggining and a clear end). If community supports this idea and if this actually works, I’d personally prefer to hire teams each time a new SDK is released to cover those specific needs when necessary.

Ahh yeah I think for people to give them security in the work they do is important aswell, If I become an advisor for example I would like to have the security to keep my jon for the upcoming years.

Other then that DCL self in the DCL main discord there is always someone that answers question or people helping out each other. That is specifically based on sdk7. Sometimes when I miss something when in docs and I work too long so my brain is tired to find a solution, I ask it in dcl discord and people like for example @lastraum usually enlight me.

So unless its a general developer team that is active to help whatever you ask right on the spot on any time and any development kit its not useful.

There are much developers that have no issue
with changing from one sdk to another.

1 Like

Love both @NikkiFuego and @DOCTORdripp , but I have to disagree here. Who at the DAO, currently, is technical in the Decentraland SDK? …semi rhetorical on purpose. No one. Like @InJesterr mentioned, I can sometimes provide help, but that should not be how our future plans for longevity should be designed - ad hoc.

The DAO’s purpose is supposed to take over from the Foundation at the termination of their vesting contract. Are we saying it’s too early to put in place semi/fully technical people to help 1) guide the platform forward 2) help current developers migrate to the new much more complex sdk 3) provide support for those entering the space? We as a DAO absolutely need technical people involved in the dao at a greater capacity from a one of answer here and there.

The lack of funds vs lack of knowledge go hand in hand. If you don’t have the funds to migrate, you can’t pay the technical people to migrate. If you have the skills to migrate, you hopefully would like to get compensated for such developments. Right now, there’s a general lack of knowledge of sdk7 plain and simple. Supply and demand economics at work with the supply of knowledge (little or none) to the high demand of sdk7 requirements (enforced going forward).

2 Likes

The first thing should be to fix bugs any out of date update documentation. I was able to create laser tag everywhere with SDK 7, snowball fight multiplayer and more. You can make anything with SDK7, but some things work better than others and some are plain broke (or documented wrongly). One has to have great problem solving with SDK7. I reported on bug on twitter and in discord, but only hear crickets. Software based product should have some support that can roll into bug fix ticketing system.

Support Team for SDK Migration

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 77% 3,332,908 VP (63 votes)
  • No 23% 1,006,340 VP (5 votes)
  • Abstain 0% 0 VP (0 votes)

Hi @Fehz

The way this describes makes it sound more efficient than the pitch above did:

1. Support Team for SDK7 Migration
    Establishment of a dedicated team of developers to assist projects and scene operators with the migration to SDK7. Recognition of the significance of community involvement and collaboration in the migration process. If we define a scope for this, we could totally create a pitch proposal to gauge community sentiment.

@Lastraum, my stance here is that we need a team of do-ers not document makers. The SDK7 docs aren’t as terrible as the SDK6 docs were. This pitch makes it sound like it’s full of fluff. The money could be better spent in the hands of devs, such as yourself, who are actually doing the work.

2 Likes

Noted! Wanted to create a comprehensive pitch proposal but maybe the wording isn’t correct. Let’s work together to write the Tender Proposal with all specifications and a well defined SLA.

We already have an open Google doc for this:

Thanks again for your feedback!

2 Likes

If you find incorrect documentation, just submit a pull request to fix it. That’s what I’ve been doing and Nico has been great about approving my changes.

I’d encourage all devs to start doing this, it’s the least we can do and an easy way to contribute to an open source project we all know and love. Every page has an “Edit” button right at the bottom.

1 Like

Well I would but it seems we’ll likely be migrating our projects for steam. There’s zero potential to profit for game devs here - very few players, anti-software-engineer DAO on the grants.

That opinion doesn’t have anything to do with the Decentraland SDK or what’s being discussed in this proposal.

I think @Unknower is right, plus keep in mind that steam doesn’t accept web3 based games.
I tried to make my Duel Arena 2D game availible on steam but we were sadly rejected.