[DAO:07eb6a0] A better world map experience for DCL

by 0x511a22cdd2c4ee8357bb02df2578037ffe8a4d8d (ginoct)

Should the problem/opportunity outlined be refined and taken to the next level?

Problem Statement

Currently, the DCL world map available on the reference client lacks some features that, if present, would improve the user experience of the product, increase the discoverability of places and events in-world, and better serve metaverse explorers and LAND owners. Recently we’ve seen how mainstream map applications (Like Google Maps) implemented features that added activity layers to the static map features, this creates the effect of seeing if a place is lively or not. Our map does not have something like that and in order to see what’s going on in-world users have to either visit the Places or Events pages or enter the world and find their way to where the action is happening.
Projects like Genesis City or even DCL Metrics tried to fill some of those gaps but in reality, we ended up with multiple experiences to navigate the same set of parcels.
Even though I don’t see an issue with having multiple implementations, it would be good to tackle this issue in a unified way to have a reference map implementation (That could be consumed by the multiple explorer clients being developed right now).

Proposed Solution

The idea would be to create a Decentraland Map Web App, that integrates some of the core features present in other map projects in a way that could be potentially adopted by the DCL Reference client or any other clients being developed right now.

Key Features:
Activity Indicators: Display what parcels are populated right now and the trends over time

Integrate Events: Display what is going on at that specific moment and in the upcoming days with related event metadata.

Thumbnail Land Customization: Land owners will have the ability to set colors and upload custom images for their respective parcels directly on the map interface.

Top-Level View: The map will display a top-level view of the Decentraland metaverse, offering an easy-to-understand overview of their surrounding areas and potential collaboration opportunities.

Scene info and Updates: Land owners will have the option to modify their scene title, description, and thumbnail without leaving the map application, streamlining the creative process. Visitors will be able to see more metadata of the parcel they’re looking at.

Friends info: See where your friends are if they are online at that specific moment.

(Wild idea) Navigation feature: Users could select a parcel and based on where they are, a portable experience could be triggered allowing the user to walk or run instead of teleport to get to the point they want to go.

Target Audience/Customer Base

The primary target audience for this Decentraland Map Web App includes land owners, content creators, developers, and explorers within the Decentraland community.

Why is this relevant now?

With the continuous growth of the Decentraland community and interest in virtual real estate, the demand for an intuitive map web application becomes important. For land owners, this could imply better discoverability and an easier workflow for their assets. For metaverse explorers, this could be a better solution to understand what is going on in Decentraland and understand where they could go, potentially increasing engagement and time spent in the platform.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

2 Likes

jw and I have talked about this - the map library for decentraland is not very optimized and because of that it’s very clunky. we put together some ideas for how to improve this already, but felt it was out of scope for dcl-metrics, but if this goes to the next level i would consider putting a bid in. that library could then be used by dcl-metrics as well as any other projects with map implementations, including the marketplace and official dcl pages.

Genesis.City should be integrated into DCL somehow.

1 Like

I’ve been brainstorming this for a while too.

Last time I opened up the client, I was trying to find out who to potentially replace the images found in the map obj with the images developed for genesis.city.

I have a feeling members of the foundation might be able to shed more light on this for us.

I would love to see this. But as i understand it genesis.city likes being independent from the foundation and thier client.

Not sure if this is possible, but it would be cool if additional map layers/menus were tied to smart wearables somehow. Users could add the genesis.city overlay to the inworld map, but only of they owned/had a specific wearable equipped?

I like the future where decentraland in worlds apps and additional menus are managed via wearables.