More Tutorials - Which SDK features are in demand?

Hello everyone:)

I thought about to make a small tutorial series about the sdk.
I really liked the series from Niko. Straighforward, easy to diggest and easy access.
https://hardlydifficult.github.io/dcl-escape-room-tutorial/

Which sdk features needs some more content for new Developers who will join in the future?
I know, showing NFT is on demand, everything is in the documenation, but yeah, people like me, dont like to read or click in the documentation. Humans are lazy. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :woman_shrugging:

I appreciate any Feedback:)

Best Regards
Frank :v:

4 Likes

Iā€™m currently reading the entire SDK Documentation as well as bugging a few other devs in the community :blush:

This is my first time doing any development in a 3D world compared to just websites and mobile applications, so for me, understanding of how to work with update() and systems would probably do extremely well views-wise. How to keep your code efficient would be key as well for the benefit of all of DCL and their future projects, especially if youā€™re a neighbor of the person and vice versa, you donā€™t want your land laggy because of a neighbor who didnā€™t use best practices and follow scene recommendations etc!

Also a side note: I think alot of people look for ways to stream directly from Twitch/YouTube onto their parcel, which I think is a very good way to attract more users to Decentraland as well! I have a feeling thatā€™s going to be the big wave of people and theyā€™ll be wanting to do that forsure :slight_smile:

Hey there!

100% agree that more videos like that would be super useful <3
Iā€™d love to see more of those come out of the community!

Showing NFTs would be a very popular topic for sure, you could cover things like where to fetch the NFT id, how to change the frame styles, how to set its position in the scene, etc. I think this is a topic that deserves a pretty newbie-friendly approach because building a mini NFT museum is likely the first project for many creators.

As mentioned in another comment, streaming videos would also be hugely popular. Unfortunately itā€™s not possible to stream directly from Twitch/Youtube, people ask about that a lot, but sadly these sites impose restrictions on consuming their video content elsewhere. What is possible and very easy is to stream videos from a paid Vimeo account. You do need to pay $7 USD for the account, but itā€™s sooo much easier than setting up your own server for streaming.

The example scenes in the Awesome Repository are really nice. Another idea could be to take one of those per video and break it down, explain all the nuances, play around with its code.

Iā€™ve personally done a few tutorials myself, Iā€™d love to do more in the future if I can find the time (Iā€™m not the same Nick that did the Escape Room Tutorials BTW :stuck_out_tongue: , those were at a whole other level ). Iā€™d love to do a series of videos on multiplayer stuffā€¦ maybe first covering the message bus and then going into using Colyseus for web sockets.

1 Like

Hola :monkey_face:,
thanks for commenting and i recieved some nice messages in Discord as well. I appreciate it a lot!
Between 14.June and 20 June i will do the recording in my free time.

The rough structure looks like this, but will change a lot until then

1. Introduction
  2. How to use the Builder to set up your scene
  3. How to create your own Model & Animation (Blender)
  4. How to import and posionate your Model
  5. How to to toggle between animations ( GitHub - decentraland-scenes/Shark-animation: This simple scene shows how to add animations to a `GLTFComponent` and handle click events. )
  6. How to use transparent
  7. How to create a spritesheet animation ( GitHub - decentraland-scenes/uv-map: Display the frames of a 2D animation from a spritesheet )
  8. How to create diffrent NFTā€™s Picture Frames ( ~ GitHub - decentraland-scenes/Certified-criptokitty: Displays an NFT taken from a contract address )
  9. How to create a Video Stream ( Play Videos | Decentraland )
  10. How to push something on a Server ( GitHub - decentraland-scenes/Guest-Book-API: Sign a guestbook. User names are stored in a RESFful API, whic is also included in this repo. )

Something like that.
Its still highly unstructered and I am sure I will find a way to keep it small, simple & diggestable.
Things that i cant explain in a simple way, i will cut out and things, that are fitting nice, i will insert.

I appreciate more thoughts, ideas & reccomendation, because some issues, that i had, I cant remember anymore :sweat_smile: Just send a message and i will make a note for me.

2 Likes

Namaskara,

just a quick update.
I didnā€™t manage it. Itā€™s still on my list.
At the moment, i canā€™t say when i can effort the time to do it.
Nonetheless I will appreciate any extra reccomendation for features that has to be coverd.

Thank for the amazing feedback so far!
I wrote everything down and I will get back to it, if I have more time available. :upside_down_face:

Best regards

Hi Frankļ¼ :blush:
There is a problem. When I ran the code ā€œnpm install -g decentralandā€, the error occurred. It showed:
npm install -g decentraland
npm ERR! code EACCES
npm ERR! syscall mkdir
npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules/decentraland
npm ERR! errno -13
npm ERR! Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir ā€˜/usr/local/lib/node_modules/decentralandā€™
npm ERR! [Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir ā€˜/usr/local/lib/node_modules/decentralandā€™] {
npm ERR! errno: -13,
npm ERR! code: ā€˜EACCESā€™,
npm ERR! syscall: ā€˜mkdirā€™,
npm ERR! path: ā€˜/usr/local/lib/node_modules/decentralandā€™
npm ERR! }
npm ERR!
npm ERR! The operation was rejected by your operating system.
npm ERR! It is likely you do not have the permissions to access this file as the current user
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you believe this might be a permissions issue, please double-check the
npm ERR! permissions of the file and its containing directories, or try running
npm ERR! the command again as root/Administrator.

Do you know how to fix it? Thank you!

Hi Seki!

Try putting sudo before the code and enter your computer password.

sudo npm install -g decentraland

I hope Iā€™ve helped.