DAO - restructuring the LAND business

This is a fascinating type of question/concept. b/c I just posted the opposite …what if we have an incentive for people to leave land open in certain ways. There are 2 concepts here at conflict and they BOTH have to do with incentive. Incentives are needed are nothing happens or people don’t strive. There is a case for open space AND a case for incentive to develop. For the former: go read my post on travel to parcels. If fully developed the DCL game will look like the dystopian world of Blade Runner. A built up cluster f of crap. The only “game experience” will be on roads. you will split into 2 types of parcel: “on road” and “Jump-in” only parcels. I propose a whole incentive for cooperative pathways and “aesthetic spaces”. Maybe even a competition for the best aesthetics open spaces. BUT on the converse, itchydinojake does also speak of concepts that will help DCL thrive.
The larger trouble I have with DCL is that it seems we have a conversation among 12-25 year old’s (mostly, and not saying older folks have the answers either.) reinventing conversations that have been had for literally millennia, e.g. about land. And global money pouring in, with no one employing the wisdom (tried effective lessons learned) and expertise of history, business, law etc. This thread has all the potential to mirror the current de-evolution of America. Wherein every member of society, all the way up to our elected officials, CONNOT even discuss a topic for the greater good. Bickering, rhetoric, and self serving opinions.
As a physician with a critical interest in neuropsychology I find that if we choose to be calm and use our cortex we, conservative, liberal, libertarian, whatever…, can learn from one another and move forward. If we choose to remain in our fighting animal brain centers then we get fear and fighting and we will suffer for it. Sooner or later. (Yes, extremely reductionist sidebar ik, but 100% true).

So DCL, what example would you like to show the world? Promote sociocultural evolution or fail to discuss things with a fully open mind and repeat human history’s lessons?

What is your VISION for DCL. Find a combined vision and work for it. Or, just argue with everyone just trying to get what is best for you and mostly you(like the rest of humanity).

(sry for typos, not edited)

Exactly…
Buying back land and ‘restructuring the land business’ is the only solution…
I thought about all of that before I proposed it…
If dcl bought back 1 parcel they could give a 2 meter wide pathway alongside 8 squares of land…

Good point BET. There could be many solutions. Another ida is an overhead transit, like a public monorail. it would allow a visual experience from above, adding a 3rd dimension to ownership. Exposing a really cool view. lessening the pressure for 100% ground access. But of course this means people who “don’t want to be told what to do” and people who are “all in for 100% profit for themselves” would have to appreciated the benefit. And people who would spend all the MANA on a their utopian vision would have to understand other ways of viewing utopia.

I don’t think the monorail thing would really work… Just because it would be the same problem… ‘Only those close to the monorail would benefit’… Then if you say it can go anywhere… Isn’t that just flying?

I think its really simple…
Buy back land at a cheap price and start etching out pathways around local parcels…
Would be easy to instabuy anything under 2k mana for the DAO…

Makes sense. Maybe a brief flying option would solve issues. monorail could be more of a moving conveyor. one could just step off and fall-in.
I agree with carving path, it could work. Lot’s of options. There is land for 2k? I’d love to get some land but for the recent exponential rise in price. The cost/speculative-investment ratio just went through the roof.

I think a conveyor would wreck most peoples graphic cards…

Best solution would be super low res flying…
But then you’re gonna land of top of peoples land?

Don’t you like empty LAND?
Why not write code to create a more rich experience on those default empty land code?
Anyone can create a Pull Request and maybe request to vote, this is the good part of a project being open source and having DAO.
I think no one will be against a better experience on empty land, everybody wins.

Btw, This idea came from “SwissDCL” Stream.

I think, overall, it’s a matter of time to improve different aspects of the game, and the best solution from/for the community is “build” effort.

However, other proposals like taxes, force sell, etc. I think not everyone will be happy with it, me included.

If you are a builder, I doubt you would have problems to find LAND to use, just ask, show your work. If anyone around has built something and he doesn’t own LAND, I can provide access to some. Not owning LAND shouldn’t stop you to build stuff.

1 Like

If land is left “abandoned”, then that’s in fact what it should be. If all these properties are left abandoned, then it shows Decentraland is not something that people value. This point has to be relevant in this discussion. There should be nothing that strips people of the rights to let that happen in the metaverse. That said we can work to create (incentives) relationships and circumstances that would make something like this Not the best outcome.

Why can’t I speculate on the land value alone? It’s a viable thing to do when looked through the eyes (value) of MANA by some. The issue comes down to futurethink social and economic impact. Good Governance can still exist.

LAND can (and will) be left abandoned but I don’t see a reason why the DAO can’t utilize abandoned land to improve game play for daily users…

I don’t really get what you are in favor of here…
The point of this thread is to use MANA locked in governance to buy back LAND to improve the game for the users… Does that sound good to you?

1 Like

LAND can (and will) be left abandoned but I don’t see a reason why the DAO can’t utilize abandoned land to improve gameplay for daily users…
Yes, it will, and I have no problem with the DAO being involved. But I truly worry that the DAO then becomes Decentraland and not the people. If I am wrong and the DAO is to have that much power, to determine when land is abandoned or not, then I see potential conflicts in governance.

I don’t really get what you are in favor of here…
The point of this thread is to use MANA locked in governance to buy back LAND

Please explain to me more “locked in governance”, sorry.

to improve the game for the users… Does that sound good to you?

I am in favor of improved gameplay at any instance possible of course and that includes RT experimentation. I understand the intended outcome you are discussing but do not believe that we understand what abandoned really means on digital land. I am not in favor of any rule that suggests people will be forced to give up land, maybe under extreme circumstances, but none that I can think of at the moment.

Perhaps if it was easier to access this free to use LAND more people would build for it, perhaps the problem is more with discoverability than availability

just an idea, but what if the DAO were to purchase back so-called “floor” land parcels – those cheapest on the market – and and burn them. They could deploy permanent art sculptures on these lands before they were burned, creating permanent art exhibits that belong to the entire community.

Of course, some percentage of re-purchased land could also be used to organize districts, etc. as you originally suggest.

Let’s go guys!

@Matimio - there’s good discussion of your points here in the #whales-votes and #VP-distibution channels of the DAO Discord server.