[DAO:ebc1ebc] DCL-Edit V3- A No Code Editor for the Decentraland SDK 7

by 0x58754d9b3dbb4ddf5ac3502acb963743b15e6398 (METAGAMEHUB)

Should the following $40,000 grant in the Platform category be approved?

Abstract

This grant proposal seeks funding for further development of DCL-Edit, a visual scene editor for dcl, by THE HUB DAO. Following two rejected grant applications, the scope of the project has been reduced to ensure the delivery of a tool focusing on no-code solutions for DCL creators.
Our primary goal is to democratize the creation process in DCL by providing a solution that is accessible to all. We aim to empower creators, regardless of their technical skills, to create visually appealing and interactive experiences.
By providing a tool that simplifies the creation process, we hope to attract a diverse group of creators to DCL. We believe that by doing so, we can contribute to long term success of DCL.

Grant size

40,000 USD in DAI

Project duration

4 months

Beneficiary address

0x2a9Da28bCbF97A8C008Fd211f5127b860613922D

Email address

camilo.echeverri@thedac.info

Description

DCL-Edit V3 will focus on the following areas:

• A Code-Free UI Editor for empowering non-coders in creating visually appealing and interactive UI experiences (the Decentraland foundation is working on enabling developers to create UI using React code, which is great, but which still requires coding skills)
  • Live Model Update: make changes to models visible in real-time without the need to re-import them or reload the scene, which greatly simplifies and accelerates scene building, especially when working in parallel in a larger team.
  • Compatibility for different model formats, eliminating the time and effort required for exporting and importing

DCL-Edit V3 will fully support Decentraland SDK7. An update for DCL-Edit V2 to support SDK7 is planned as well.

You can find the specs for all the planned features here.

DCL-Edit will continue to serve as a cornerstone in the Decentraland development environment, offering features comparable to established game engines like Unity and Unreal Engine. The current V2 has a nice set of features that make it one of the best scene editors currently in the market (see a full feature list here).

Additionally, contributions beyond DCL-Edit will continue to be executed, including “Builder of the Month”, bi-weekly coding sessions, and tutorial sessions for creating games in Decentraland. The goal is to foster an attractive environment for expert developers.

The importance of having an editor capable of accommodating professionals and more importantly non-coders cannot be overstated. It is crucial for gaining traction and attracting a diverse user base to the Decentraland platform. We encourage everyone to support us, we love Decentraland and are convinced that DCL-Edit V3 will take DCL to a whole new level.

If you have not tried DCL-Edit yet, try it out here.

Here is a tutorial on how to use it.

Roadmap and milestones

Below are the planned milestones including the planned intermediate releases for each month. More details about each step can be found here.

August 2023 - Version 2.1

• SDK 7 compatibility
  • VS Code extension (launch DCL-Edit within VS Studio)

September 2023 - Version 3 Alpha I

• Render like Decentraland client
  • New GUI design

October 2023 - Version 3 Alpha II

• Live Model Update and improved modelling workflows
  • Scene optimizations

November 2023 - Version 3

• No Code UI Editor
  • Text, Buttons, Progress Bars, Images

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Here is a detailed cost overview for the proposal: DCL-Edit Cost Breakdown - Google Sheets

We encourage all the DCL community to support us, we have a team of 4 developers continiously working on resolving bugs and improving the editor. We allocate resources to it because we really believe in the product and are sure that it will help take Decentraland metaverse development to the next level.

For full transparency for the community, can you please list what grants you have received in the past, and for how much money they were for? Thank you :slight_smile:

Absolutely, these are the grants that we have received so far:

Grant 1: Develop a local scene editor to work with the Decentraland SDK
Amount: $5000 USD
Date: January 2022

Grant 2: DCL-Edit - Further Development
Amount: $240000 USD
Date: June 2022

Absolutely yes! Anything to help reduce the barriers to using SDK for people who don’t code is much needed. And with the new SDK7 out we need this update to your DCL-Edit tool

1 Like

Can you remove anything that is getting this virus IDP.Generic on your current DCL-edit? I don’t like to use it as my computer contains my wallets and banking information.
I tried to install and uninstall DCL-edit via CLI and VS Code terminal but my antivirus continuously detect it.
And just to inform you, ignoring the IDP.Generic is a very high risk recommendation from you.

Cheers!

Hey @akasya.eth
I’ve done a scan on virus total, and it is only flagged by Jiangmin, which is known to give false positives. Even the Avast engine comes off with a negative result.

I think, it is more likely, that your local installation of Avast is out of date.
If you like to get more support on that, feel free to join our discord and quickly post your problem into the #support channel again

I will contact AVAST regarding this false positive. My Avast antivirus is updated so I will not use the DCL-edit yet unless they gave a confirmation about the false positive.

Decentraland even shared your Youtube tutorial.
But with the growing hacking incident, I will not take further risk for DCL-edit’s IDP.Generic Virus false positive.

I believe this proposal will be passed with Decentraland as backer. Congrats mates!

Hey all
I just wanted to add my two cents here from the perspective of the Foundation, and more specifically from the SDK team.
What this team is building is indeed valuable and worth the effort and the budget!
In prior proposals, a reasonable point was raised by others about this being somewhat redundant with work being done from our team in the foundation. From our perspective, it’s perfectly valid to have multiple editors, as that goes very well with our whole decentralization ethos.
Also, the scope of features that is being aimed for in this proposal focuses on a number of features that are not in the current plans of the editor that the foundation is building. For example, we have no plans to build graphical editing tools for making UIs any time soon, we plan to stick to the 3D editing. We also don’t plan to expand the compatibility of 3D model formats. So I see the two tools complementing each other very well in the future.
Even more so if in the near future DCL-Edit has its own VS Studio Code Plugin, as you could then use both extensions side by side on a same project, leveraging the advantages of one or the other for different tasks.

2 Likes

Vote: YES

The developers have been helpful to me when I have attended their AMAs that MetaGameHub DAO hosted. It is a difficult challenge to create something that is drag-and-drop that also generates accurate code.

After assisting multiple newcomer creators during he MESH art fair creation process, I can attest to the need for simple, powerful tools for creating in DCL. SDK6 while still in wide use is being discontinued (deprecated) and SDK7 will be the only supported ecosystem.

1 Like

DCL-Edit V3- A No Code Editor for the Decentraland SDK 7

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 97% 5,495,170 VP (106 votes)
  • No 2% 170,000 VP (3 votes)
  • Abstain 1% 4,852 VP (5 votes)

DCL-Edit V3- A No Code Editor for the Decentraland SDK 7

This proposal has been ENACTED by a DAO Committee Member (0xbef99f5f55cf7cdb3a70998c57061b7e1386a9b0)

Vesting Contract Addresses: 0x9D2494166A1946e1fa87e6ffEC0e0666aA3aC818

Hi! DAO Committee (@HPrivakos, @Tobik, @rizk),

I would like to inform you that we are experiencing some delays with the final milestone of our proposal. Following our discussion with GSS, it has been determined that we require an additional month to finalize the no-code UI editor. Our vesting contract is expiring at the end of this month, and we would like to ask for your guidance on how to proceed with this delay.

Regardless of the vesting contract’s status, we will continue developing until all milestones are delivered, as we have done in the past. We will also ensure that we cover any additional costs that may be incurred during this process.

Happy to hear your feedback!

Hey!
Just claim the vesting contract once you finished, we don’t need to recreate a new vesting contract just for a month

Hello @HPrivakos,

Thanks for replying. I agree; there’s no need to create a new vesting contract for that month. Maybe there was a confusion in our recommendation. What the grantee is requesting might be to pause the vesting contract until they finish the project. After completing the project, they can then ask to reactivate the vesting contract to claim the funds. What are your thoughts on this?

Today, we had our Monthly Meeting with @Camilo and #JonathanLuebeck from DCL Edit. The project is back on track but still has the Vesting Contract with a voluntary pause. They showcased progress, and we reviewed their Public Roadmap. We also discussed being kind of back on track but still needing to catch up with some features. They have a public Testing Session on the 23rd, and if there are no major bugs, they could finish by the end of January. We agreed to have a short meeting on the 31st of January to check the project status, deciding whether or not to request the unpause of the vesting contract. Additionally, we discussed having the impact metrics they defined in their original proposal, and GSS will request them three months after they finish the project.