[DAO:dfd69d5] ~~ [ LAND Squad ** Weekly Hackathon ] ~~

by 0x07356b0edf9b934330f41952b09d076c3810c608 (Bet)

Should the following $25,000 grant in the In-World Content category be approved?

Abstract

Greetings DCL.
We want to host weekly SDK7 hackathons.

Grant size

25,000 USD in DAI

Project duration

3 months

Beneficiary address

0x07356b0edf9b934330f41952b09d076c3810c608

Email address

coinatomy@gmail.com

Description

Plan:

1. Buy 1 LAND parcel per week at random intervals.
  2. Give an advance warning of the upcoming competition.
  3. Help developers with DCL/SDK7/Github questions.
  4. Review submissions and award the best build.
  5. Add the builds to the Awesome Repo.

Objective:

1. Create a sustainable mechanism for rewarding SDK7 builders.
  2. Enhance community participation through competition.
  3. Spotlight and celebrate exceptional SDK7 builds.
  4. Increase understanding of what kind of builds we want to see in Decentraland.
  5. Buy unused parcels and redistribute them to people to utilize.

Proposal Outline:

1. Formation of the LAND Squad: A team overseeing acquisition, competition and redistribution of LANDs.
  2. Weekly LAND Purchases: Acquire the lowest-priced square on the marketplace weekly.
  3. Build Submission and Review: Developers submit their builds via a PR to the awesome repository. Reviews will be based on creativity, technical proficiency, and community value. 1 LAND will be awarded each week but all submissions will rollover to increase the competition.

Why?

1. To incentivise developers to start working with SDK7.
  2. Help contribute to the Awesome Repo.
  3. Bring new developers to get involved with the community.

What do we have to lose?:

1. The DAO will get 2.5% fee back on each purchase. :partying_face:…
  2. If the winner decides to sell the parcel then the DAO will get another 2.5% fee…
  3. If they sell cheap enough then we can buy back at the floor price :slight_smile:
  4. If they want to keep it then we have a new active builder…

Budget and Funding:
80% of the budget will go to buying back the lowest priced LAND parcels at random intervals throughout the weeks.
20% administrative costs including gas fees, reviewing submissions, managing SDK7/GITHUB questions and awarding the winning build.

We will host our events in game @13,-1 but we will let y’all know via our discord:

Roadmap and milestones

Month 1:
Spread the word

Month 2:
Host weekly hackathons until we run out of money…

Month 3:
ongoing!

Month 4:
Money getting low… Maybe resubmission…

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

Voting no because spending DAO money to purchase LAND is something I do not believe we should do.

The DAO has been purchasing floor priced LAND for some time now. Perhaps you could ask to use those parcels to do the same thing?

Happy to take those squares off of someone… But why not go through the marketplace to do that? Is it not easier if I pay the TX fees rather than getting others involved?

If you ask for DAO funds to purchase LAND, you become the owner of that land. You can resell the land at a later date for a large profit, with no promise of a return to the DAO. Basically it is a wealth transfer from the DAO to a private individual, with no safeguard in place other than the promise to do the right thing.

If you were to use LAND owned by the DAO, it would be a risk-free interaction, because the LAND would remain safely in their wallet, and they would delegate builder rights to the person who will deploy on the land.

This is why most voters do not support the use of DAO funds to purchase land.

1 Like

Did you read the proposal?

I’m not buying LAND for myself…
It’s to give to devs to build stuff…
Nothing to do with flipping LAND…

Like I said… I’m happy to give away DAO owned LAND… But I would need to own the LAND to be able to give it to a winner…
This is not about delegating builder rights…

Floor price of a LAND is about $900 atm…
That’s the weekly incentive for people to build…

My post was in a draft form, so it was posted as a reply to your pervious comment. I deleted and reposted it here for clarity.

I understand. Any time funds from the DAO are used for giveaways, I believe people should look closely at 1) Who is determining the judging panel 2) Who is determining the winners 3) What is the judging criteria

I would also feel more comfortable if your roadmap was fully developed. I cannot support a project where the roadmap and milestones are answered with one word answer.

These are just my opinions, I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your project!

Maybe a way to keep the judging in the hands of the DAO, you could have a poll to determine the winners of each round?

The personnel is on the governance but not on the forum…

1. It’s me and gtrfrost… (PatMacs said he was interested in helping to judge but he seems pretty busy so didn’t want to put his name down. Also saw some interest from @dax and @PepeGawd )

Me:
Been around since launch…
Last upload was a UNO game where @Helpimstreaming was hosting events…
I own over 200 parcels in DCL and trying to steal $25k is not really my thing :man_facepalming:
Been pretty much DCL full time this last year… I logged into SDK7 most days in 2023…
And I can do ANYTHING with wss and prisma :laughing:

GTR:
Also a large LAND owner…
Built a bunch for SDK6 and has now converted to SDK7 as well…

1. IMO it makes perfect sense that we would determine the winners… We know the difficulties of working with SDK7 and understand build quality… I think “the DAO” probably has bigger problems to worry about especially over $25k… If any DAO members want to apply to be on the LAND squad then I’m all about it… But yeah… This is a proposal which I’ve been thinking about for over a year… IMO Decentraland governance is meant to be to fund people that have ideas and can execute on them… After I buy back the LAND and pay transaction fees and stuff… I’m only left with $4k after 4 months…

2. “Reviews will be based on creativity, technical proficiency, and community value.”

Polls will be manipulated but we might use them if its a close call…
I don’t think a hackathon really needs an extensive roadmap…
I remember the atari hackathon bringing in 100s of builds in SDK6. Lots of new people were happy to compete for a chance to win a $ prize… Right now there is no incentive to build in SDK7…

I think this will bring more value than $25k…

Hello @BET, the community did approve via a majority vote on this proposal which may hinder yours from moving forward:

Stop the DAO from buying LAND from the marketplace (decentraland.org)

The DAO has lands it can give away, we have over 20 lands doing nothing right now

1 Like

I can repropose this but who is sending me the LANDs and what would the terms be?
Or do i just say… send XYZ a land?

I’m not sure we have a framework for it yet (or at least nothing that prevents grants from requesting?), so I guess you could just ask for it?

I’m not sure weekly hackathons are a good thing though.
Hackathons are quite draining and might demands quite a lot of preparations, both on organization and from participants, doing it weekly might drain participants too much and cause participation to lower.
It’d be great if we can avoid having some weeks with like only 2 poor submissions that still get a land because they are the only ones that submitted. :sweat_smile:

I think it would be better to move it to monthly or at least bi-weekly.

I would personally prefer if those lands were leased rather than given, we can lease it for a couple years (which would force us to HODL them :wink:).

The idea was that the first month was to prepare and start hacking…
So builders can start building before the first giveaway…
Let’s say the first one gets 5 builds… 1 Wins…
Then the other 4 builds can see what their competition has done and maybe some will improve for the next week…
We need to test with some kind of mechanism…
bi-weekly… seems like a long time to wait for anyone that loses…

I suggested 1 a week because the DAO has 50m MANA and LAND is 2k MANA atm…
So the competition could run for 481 years at the current price… Or 2,083 years if you do monthly…

I think less people will be interested with just deployment rights…
Potentially winning an NFT worth $900 is kinda acceptable for most people… In some countries it could even get more competitive to work for 1 week and potentially win $900… If I work for a month on a dcl project and didn’t win $900 I’d be pretty disappointed as well… Plus you have to sell it or whatever…
But yeah maybe runners up can get deployment rights… :+1:

3 reasons I prefer to buy the LANDs directly from marketplace.

1. It helps to educate people on understanding one of our top 3 revenue streams…
  2. As a LAND owner. I don’t really feel too good that the DAO would be giving away LANDs…
  3. It increases the numbers on: Transparency

What about renting the lands for a given time? Like what HP mentioned. It takes the focus away from who owns the land politics and places it on what should go on the land.

One more question, is this also your grant that was paused by the GSS? I see that it was submitted under a different name, but you commented on it as if it is your project?

If so, have you delivered a viable product to the DAO, or do you have plans to return the money to the DAO?
Thank you.

This is unrelated to this discussion…
Maybe bring that up over there… :eyes:

So that is your grant?

yeah… i use multiple accounts in dcl depending on what computer/keys I have access to at the time…
That grant is a long story really so probably best to discuss it there…
the TLDR is:
GSS was wasting my time… so I stopped replying…
The project is complete now…
I need to do another grant to unlock the rest of the funds…

1 Like

~~ [ LAND Squad ** Weekly Hackathon ] ~~

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 1% 21,548 VP (63 votes)
  • No 83% 5,536,816 VP (45 votes)
  • Abstain 16% 1,113,471 VP (2 votes)