by 0xe6af22b8fd4a2fdfec9a0b18c6be9683882d70e6 (Yararasita)
During Q2 which finished in June 2023, we detected grant proposals that could fit into two or more categories, and that there are great projects that are not addressed by our program.
One example is the type of grant that aims to onboard new members to Decentraland for specific target audiences, like DCL Brazil. In this case, the grantee requested a Documentation Grant, which was not compliant with the Category, but the proposal was valuable for community building and onboarding new members.
There are also valuable DAO members that make community-building experiences and events, like ABC Decentraland, or CBD - Community Building Decentraland who share knowledge with newcomers and ignite interaction among Decentraland users and DAO members.
On the other hand, in the near past, the community has voted YES for the Ambassador Program, and one of the principal objectives was to empower community members. We strongly agree with the spirit of the proposal, and think it would be a good investment to support these valuable community stewards that make the experience in Decentraland more exciting and fun.
With these inputs, we hosted an open session with the community to discuss the creation of a new category in the Grants program, named Community Building, which brings us here with the following inputs:
What type of grants would a Community Building Category fund?
- In-world exploration: Building specific events to explore the wonderful experiences of Decentraland.
- Increase engagement: Contribute to increase in times on scene, and returning users.
- Organize gatherings: Produce meetups for community building.
- Community Interaction: Exchanging wearables, collectibles, and emotes.
This category would be dedicated to recognizing and supporting individuals or groups who actively contribute to the growth, development, and engagement of the Decentraland community, fostering collaboration and positive experiences within the metaverse.
If the community decides to create this new category, the next step would be to:
- Escalate this into a draft proposal, including requirements and performance metrics for the Community Building category.
- Create a poll to re-distribute the budget of the grants program including this category.
If the community decides not to move forward with this new category, the next step will be to:
- According to the insights of this article, create a poll to re-distribute the % of the grants program budget.
- Yes - Add the Community Building category
- No - Do not create the Community Building category
- Invalid question/options