[DAO:bf46fd7] A Decentraland-focused Community Hub

by 0x511a22cdd2c4ee8357bb02df2578037ffe8a4d8d (ginoct)

Should the problem/opportunity outlined be refined and taken to the next level?

Problem Statement

In the Decentraland, community engagement is the key to fostering creativity, collaboration, and social interactions. However, the current ecosystem lacks a comprehensive platform that effectively connects individuals with like-minded communities, in other words, it is difficult to find your Tribe. While there are directories for events and places, there is a notable absence of a dedicated space to list and discover groups of people with shared interests. As a result, users struggle to find and connect with communities relevant to their passions, hindering the potential for meaningful interactions and collaborations. That usually ends up happening on Discord or crypto-Twitter (crypto-X?) but that moves the focus away from the Decentraland ecosystem and from products that are built in an open, decentralized, and ethical way. I think it should be great to have a Reddit-like experience where anyone can create an index of people, places, and events that gravitates around a theme (Fashion, music, art, etc)

Proposed Solution

One idea would be to create the concept of a Tribes dApp (aka Communities Hub), an integrated platform within the Decentraland Ecosystem that empowers users to explore, join, and manage memberships in various communities. This dApp will serve as a central directory, allowing individuals to easily find and connect with like-minded groups, further enriching their virtual experiences.

Key Features:

Community Listing: Users can register their communities on the platform, providing information about the community’s purpose, interests, and activities. This listing will help individuals discover communities aligned with their preferences.

Membership Management: Community owners will have the ability to manage memberships, ensuring that the community remains active, vibrant, and inclusive. Members can easily join and leave communities as per their preferences. Moderation and Analytics tools should be built as well.

Social Connections: The platform will enable users to connect with other community members through direct links to their Discord servers and Twitter profiles. This feature aims to strengthen social bonds within the community.

Integration with Events and Places: Community Hub dApps will integrate with existing events and places directories, providing a holistic view of the Decentraland metaverse and encouraging users to participate in community-related activities.

Target Audience/Customer Base

The primary target audience for Community Hub dApps includes Decentraland users who actively seek social interactions and networking opportunities within the metaverse. This platform will cater to community leaders, content creators, event organizers, enthusiasts, and newbies looking to explore and engage in various interest-based communities.

Why is this relevant now?

As Decentraland keeps growing and attracts diverse participants, fostering a sense of community and belonging becomes increasingly essential. The current lack of a dedicated platform for community listings hinders organic social connections and the growth of new groups within the metaverse. This moves the social aspect away from the in-world experience. By addressing this issue now, we can create an inclusive and engaging environment, encouraging users to form deeper connections with like-minded individuals and participate actively in community-driven initiatives.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

As long as there is a mechanism to allow leaders/owners of communities to prevent someone else from claiming their community first, it seems like a great idea.

I like this idea, as it keeps communities from having to use outside resources to create little hubs. I would like to see the idea further developed and what would be needed for this to become real. In my opinion, this seems like a logical next step in integrating more social media-like aspects into DCL.

I LOVE the idea of this! What a great way to bring communities together!

My only concern is that I’d kindly advise you to rebrand it to a different name. There is a growing sentiment in the United States that the word “Tribe” is inappropriate to use. Native American communities are sovereign nations, and those outside the community are encouraged to use the word “Nation” not “Tribe”. Other brands like “Yeti” have already retracted products with the term, and it could avoid potential future fallout by finding an appropriate alternative like Community Hub. Thank you :slight_smile:

A Decentraland-focused Community Hub

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 98% 6,658,139 VP (78 votes)
  • No 1% 3,788 VP (5 votes)
  • Abstain 1% 767 VP (6 votes)