[DAO:7eff936] Vtubing app with Decentraland Avatars

The blender file is a proof of transparency regarding the development process, precisely by seeing the limitations and requirements of using the blender file, that’s how we decided to create the app.

• The avatar had an adaptation process, the default mesh is not compatible, we had to bake and create new materials using vertex painting.
  • We created the 52 blendshapes manually to make it compatible with ARkit.
  • We precisely used the OSC protocol to be compatible with the blender interface (OSC was the only open source tool we used in the process).
  • The file has a camera rig to be able to control the focal length, focal point and tracking only using emptys in a simple way.
  • Through collections we can change the background with a click. We have a setup in the environment node that allows us to have a green background without affecting the lighting of the scene.

Can you tell me which free plugin can do this in 5 minutes?

I don’t understand your position with the last argument, seriously, basically making it web 3 is the main advantage, not just talking about the app, but in general, the land, the dcl names, the wearables, could work without web 3, in fact decentraland partly does, at 8:13 of the AMA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3X4wm3fiE&t=1030s they explain how Decentraland works in a technical sense (the centralized part and the web part 3) also it is proposed to use the SDK as an “open standard” under your argument, someone could make a fork and have a version of decentraland with all the wearables for example, even so doing that would lose all meaning, I mean?

If you are in some contact with the community of vrm avatar creators, it is common for a user to download your model illegally, precisely tokenizing them is an excellent option for that

Hi Tony, thank you for all the info! I love what you’re building and can see it’s had a lot of work put in - I have some more thoughts and curious to hear yours.

Glad to see the greenscreen background - I’m not sure having a background market would necessarily be an immediate need, but sounds like it could be a cool way to get avatar backgrounds and connect artists with users (I’ve mostly used Fiver or open licensed stuff so it is definitely a viable use case), perhaps this could connect to your wallet and you could use any NFT image you already own? This way we are leveraging all NFT marketplaces and the already existing economy so we don’t need to spin up a net new ‘image’ marketplace.

There is still great service layer potential here as I believe the 52 blend shapes in ARKit should somewhat sync up with the current open standard of VR facial expressions - (May require a re-mapping of shapekey names but that should be arbitrary).

I’m curious where your application will store and access the shapekeys, and how users will contribute them? The DCL marketplace already accomplishes a majority of the heavy lifting in terms of connecting all our systems for .glb files, ideally we can extend that to enable wearables with shape keys instead of a net new facial avatar system as well as an API that any user or application can use a metamask signature to download the user’s body/facial-tracking compatible avatar - I don’t think these two ideas of the app layer and service layer conflict, and could even build off of each other to be more valuable, but we should ensure the work is interoperable for VR clients as well as building on the current .glb network to not duplicate efforts. I think it would make a lot of sense to take the learnings from this project, and use it to build the underlying system for creators and users before moving forward with application layers.

I really admire what you’ve built with OpenCV, I’m more versed in computer vision than I am 3d modelling so I appreciate how much effort has gone into this - I think it is the next natural step of evolution for our metaverse wearable marketplace and avatars, and am thrilled to see more contributions in this space.

Re: Web3
The web3 argument you make is accurate but there is always boundaries of compromise and a scale of decentralization due to the needs of an interoperable metaverse, we have to allow applications like DG mobile poker to have access to all assets of all the avatars playing for example.

I think one reason we cannot genuinely tokenize everything individually is because many of it is already tokenized, long term, how will other users from other metaverses bring their .vrm to DCL applications like this and our VR apps, or more importantly, how will DCL avatars travel to alternate metaverses if those other metaverses took the same approach? What if a user builds an avatar from wearables from multiple metaverses? I don’t think I can ‘re-mint’ my own avatar every time I want to try a new VR metaverse, it would not only be a logistical and legal nightmare to not tread on any creators copyrights, but also a massive UX issue that would likely have ended my exploration before it begun - if we go this route I’m not sure I see a massive difference over something like Meta, what good are the NFTs if the entire system is centralized to control and restrict the access to them?

1 Like

Can this be put up for Bid and Tender, and have Tony have a team to execute this? I think there is huge value but its a big task for one person to think about all directions. Can we please give a HEALTHY amount of funding for the brave warriors willing to build this out?

THANK YOU TONY!!! <3

5 Likes

I think this proposal is not being well understood, and it seems to me a MUST HAVE.

This app would provide more value than many games, how?
Linking your virtual identity to your decentraland avatar.
I have been one of those who has asked swiss how to do it, I have also tried the application that hkprivakos suggests (paid, and great information in Japanese).
I have messed around a weekend and I have not been able to, so I have moved on to something else. I am not a 3d designer and that is a big problem to even understand what I need to get started. Then there are many free programs where you waste hours trying for nothing.

Now, as I understand it, what is the potential of this app?
I give you an example. Call with friends, I appear with the decentraland avatar.
Wow how do you do that? Well, with a decentraland avatar and this app. Oh, I want to try it.

Imagine if a famous youtuber uses a decentraland avatar, do you think it won’t attract users?

Today there may be little interest, it is very difficult to find an audience creating content about decentraland… but helping users to link their decentraland identity with their real identity… isn’t that what it’s about?

For now I would use it, I’m sure Kevin would too, but it’s not just a tool for streamers, it’s a tool to chat in a discord with your avatar, in a meet… I see it as super powerful.
And I see it as a tool that will do free marketing for decentraland as soon as it is used.

Regarding the wallpapers, I would suggest two options, such as twitter, having your image downloaded from the internet without validation, and an image with a market of images perhaps linked to wearables or independently but within the decentraland ecosystem. If you have any collection from the Spanish museum, you belong to that community… you could download the jpg and have a mark that identifies if you have an nft or it is a simple image to give it the maximum potential.

I honestly think it’s a different proposition that adds value and it’s not a crazy price for a group of people and the value it can bring.

There may be few people asking about this feature, but I don’t doubt that people who don’t even ask right now will use it, and maybe most of them dont know about it or think it is so hard as reason to dont ask.
again, isn’t that what it’s about? Nobody could program, or design 3d, but everybody could share a little video with its decentrand avatar.

3 Likes

This is a sick idea that we were thinking of as well. We work with a lot of DJs in New York, Berlin, and Thailand. Would love to partner with you on this.

1 Like

Thank you for this point Morph.

Decentraland is open source and I prefer that as many development grants as possible be open source too. The recent 2022 year in review blog post describes Decentraland as a public good. Fewer walled gardens funded by the DAO. More extendibility instead.

2 Likes

Vtubing app with Decentraland Avatars.

This proposal is now in status: REJECTED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 41% 4,623,770 VP (124 votes)
  • No 59% 6,504,612 VP (90 votes)