[DAO:5717803] Should the DAO Increase Polygon GWEI Threshold?

by 0x56469159d91eb810dce34dd13ec4ed8194bca7be (NikkiFuego)

Linked Pre-Proposal

Should the DAO increase Polygon GWEI Threshold?

Summary

For the past several months, Polygon GWEI has been out of control. Currently, the threshold for “free” gas to the consumer is 150 GWEI. Meaning that anytime GWEI is higher than 150, Decentraland provided services fail.

Abstract

Having a marketplace and platform that provides free gas to its users is a huge selling point when onboarding new users and builders. When an entire quarter goes by where GWEI is consistently above 150, that selling point becomes obsolete.

Motivation

Some examples of Decentraland services that fail when GWEI is above 150 are:

• Purchasing - Both primary and secondary purchases.
  • Transferring - Sending wearables to other wallets.
  • Minting
  • Publishing - As well as adding minters/collaborators and putting items on sale.
  • L2 Services - Air-dropping wearables or transferring MANA with Decentralands script. This directly impacts Play-to-Earn games.

In some cases, with purchases in-game on LAND or in Play-to-Earn games, the user does not have the option to swap to Polygon Network because that results in them disconnecting from the in-game experience as that requires a constant connection to Ethereum Network.

It’s a huge red flag for new users. I know when I started out I had very little knowledge of what GWEI was and how it worked exactly. A lot of new users likely do not own MATIC or know to purchase it. Therefore the sales conversion funnel that the foundation spends enormous amounts of effort on fails.

Specification

Currently, the DAO covers these gas costs and the average is $1k-$2k USD worth of Matic spent each month on Polygon GWEI (data provided by HP).

Conclusion

This draft is to increase the threshold from 150 to 300 to meet the new standard norm that we’ve been experiencing for the last few months. While GWEI can still go higher than this amount, this should help increase the number of free transactions drastically.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

ive been thinking about this too, as sometimes we will need to wait for gwei to approve wearables for this very reason.

Maybe if 10% of the wearable submission cost was transfered to MATIC and sent to the DCL wallet that handles these costs it will help keep the tank full with the increase in spending?

Hey @Sango , not a bad idea at all. I think 10% is actually pretty reasonable. That would be $15 in MATIC per submission. Which if GWEI is around 300 it’s likely anywhere from $0.10 to $0.15 in MATIC. So in theory each submission would cover 75-100 transactions. That’s pretty sustainable for only 10% and if that 10% is already going to the DAO it makes sense to automate it this way.

I wonder if @HPrivakos can weigh in on the possibility to automate/streamline this.

1 Like

Good point here!
I can see this becoming a problem for new users it would give the impression that the DCL is underdeveloped.

We can totally do that, the DAO is getting the wearables submissions fees on Polygon, and we are not using those for anything as every payments are done on Ethereum, so we have 1M USD laying around on Polygon

1 Like

Okay great! So do I just need to include that in the final governance piece for it to take effect? Would this be an automated process or a manual process? Just want to make sure I cover what I need to to make it happen.

Great @HPrivakos! So since its possible and you like the idea can we count on your support for this proposal?

1 Like

Should the DAO Increase Polygon GWEI Threshold?

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 98% 5,286,606 VP (77 votes)
  • No 1% 1 VP (1 votes)
  • Abstain 1% 19 VP (1 votes)