[DAO:e309a78] Stop the DAO from buying LAND from the marketplace

by 0x0e7c2d47d79d4026472f4f942c4947937daa94a8 (r3)

Linked Pre-Proposal

Stop the DAO from buying LAND from the marketplace

Summary

Stop the DAO from buying LAND from the marketplace (an action that has to be done due to a previous proposal).

Abstract

This proposal is because the DAO has enough land, there is more effort being put into WORLDS and no one is doing anything with that LAND so it would be better to buy LAND when we actually need it.

Motivation

This proposal is because the DAO has enough land, there is more effort being put into WORLDS and no one is doing anything with that LAND so it would be better to buy LAND when we actually need it.

Specification

The DAO Committee will stop buying LAND every month

Conclusion

We will save money and use those resources for something else.

Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO

View this proposal on Snapshot

The Sandbox in September, has begun their own form of Land buyback in order to allocate to their creators.

https://snapshot.org/#/apecoin.eth/proposal/0x7e5655a9cba84609f079685ac8ebb033d419a795b4053d30f2ccb1788c3da032

Apecoin DAO just passed a proposal last week to spend 750k APE to purchase back some of their collection’s NFTs

What do they have in common?
They understand that their underlying assets are currently undervalued due to a depressed market, and they have full faith in their ecosystem. That has led to an allocation of resources to “not let a crisis go to waste.”

It feels like we are backpedaling with this proposal, instead of displaying sophistication in our decision making process.

1 Like

Dear Tobik,

I have posted this post in another vote that Tobik initiated, I will post it again here.

I have been with DCL since the very beginning. I am hold both MANA and LAND.

I think we all agree that high quality contents are key to DCL’s success. There is no doubt to that. However, from that goal, DCL has made a series of wrong decisions, which are based on wrong believes.

Including:

High land price is preventing people from entering DCL.

We must lowered the barrier of entry to allow more content creators to create in DCL.

DCL World is a perfect product, you can have a space to build on for 100 MANA, also it generate sales for DCL NAME.

But introducing WORLD will be against the interests of LAND owners. So let’s use “boiling frog” strategy.

The landowners are speculators, they are short sight, they only care about LAND price nothing else.

Let’s see why they are wrong.

High land price is preventing people from entering DCL.

The introduction of rental market is a solution to that problem. Disregard how much the land is trading at, you can always rent a parcel at 1 MANA per day. Please note that 1 MANA per day is the floor set by DCL. If we could lower that floor to 0 MANA, I am sure you will be able to see 0 MANA rental. A lot of LAND owners (including me) are willing to attract high quality content creators to create on our land at 0 cost. Now, please tell me, which is lower barrier to entry, 0 cost, or 100 MANA to purchase NAME, so you have a WORLD?

We must lowered the barrier of entry to allow more content creators to create in DCL.

This is true, however are there any other ways? Without hurting the interest of LAND owner? Apparently there are potential ways to do that. One of the is listed above. There are also discussion about dividing the land, or even expanding the Genesis City. However, without listen to what the LAND owners have to say. DCL Foundation pushed for DCL World.

Another thing we need to consider is that, is really lower barrier of entry can attract high quality content creators? CryptoVoxel has much lower barrier of entry, but it doesn’t have high quality content, why?

DCL World is a perfect product, you can have a space to build on for 100 MANA, also it generate sales for DCL NAME.

But introducing WORLD will be against the interests of LAND owners. So let ’ s use “ boiling frog ” strategy.

If you believe number 1 and number 2. It is not hard to come to conclusion that LAND owners are no longer needed in this system, they have become a burden to DCL. We must break our promises of LAND scarcity stories which attract them to DCL in the first place. But let’s do it slowly, and introduce this WORLD, and we can tell them it is a different thing. But, let’s face it.

DCL WORLD dilute LAND owners interest. No matter how you argue the differences between LAND and WORLD. It is another form of infinite LAND. All of the LAND scarcity story are gone, and all the LAND scarcity promises are broken. This is why the LAND owners are so mad.

By now we should have stats about WORLD, we should examine, are we on the right track? Are the WORLD really attracting high quality content? Please remember this is based on the cost of the benefit of LAND owners. If not, should we continue pushing down that path?

The landowners are speculators, they are short-sighted, they only care about LAND price nothing else.

Let’s face it, DCL is a crypto project. It was funded by Funds, ICO, and early investors/speculators. For close to 2 years, DCL is nothing but just a website. When ICO and first land auction happened. People are putting their money into an unknown project hoping to achieve financial return. Without those people financial support, there wouldn’t be a DCL. Those investors including myself holds MANA/LAND until today, 6 years. And we are being called speculators, short-sighted.

DCL Foundation, DAO, MANA and LAND owners should work with each other. DCL’s success should benefit all stakeholders. Not only certain people are benefit from this, at the cost of others, especially those people who supported the project since the very beginning, who supported the project when there was no product, who supported the project during bear market. I think LAND owners are always wiling to talk, or even sacrifice so DCL can achieve greater success.

No one is saying this.

Then you have seem huge gains on your initial investment.

I purchased most of my LAND at first auction at 1000 MANA per parcel.

Now, they are 2000 MANA. Huge gains?

More than doubling your money in 6 years is a great roi, and that’s assuming you have generic floor quality land.

Also not the DAOs fault you didnt take any profits or build anything of value.

Putting your interests first as though you were promised there would be no more land in the future is selfish.

It’s not hard to find documentation that said dcl woukd have two more land types.

The land is for using, not looking at in your ledger.

This also ignores the 10x in value mana did since the … and again not the daos fault you didnt sell any at aths

You are missing the point here.

Hey, @Jayson. Thanks for sharing your views. It’s important to have all points of view. I’m interested in one of the ideas you mentioned. Could you add me on Discord? tobikcc, I’m also available on WeChat as tobik02.

Thanks.

Creating quality content creators requires financial rewards, not lowering barriers to entry. Wrong policies will only divide the community and harm the enthusiasm of the entire community. A chaotic DCL will affect the creators and players who want to join, so what we need is a stable community, not to harm anyone.

How does stopping the Dao from buying land no one wants to use hurt anyone?

If anything the DAO buying land hurts land owners because there will be less people who need to rent from landowners when they can just get access from the dao.

Or they have a shitload of money from investors that they can waste buying assets, the DAO has next to no income (no, the vesting is not income) so we should not spend the little we are getting to buy lands.

What HP said :point_up:. IMO we should stop spending except platform improvements and also for proven community creators.

Stop the DAO from buying LAND from the marketplace

This proposal is now in status: PASSED.

Voting Results:

• Yes 55% 7,920,667 VP (75 votes)
  • No 42% 6,331,092 VP (42 votes)
  • Abstain 3% 505,228 VP (4 votes)