by 0xd11a019a70986bd607cbc1c1f9ae221c78581f49 (Yemel)
Restructuring the Community Grants Program
Redefine the tiers of the DAO’s Grant Program, making it more flexible and secure.
Currently the grants program allow the following Tiers:
- Tier 1: Up to $1500 USD in MANA (1M VP + 7 days) - One Time Payment
- Tier 2: Up to $3000 USD in MANA (1M VP + 7 days) - One Time Payment
- Tier 3: Up to $5000 USD in MANA (1M VP + 7 days) - 3 Months Vesting
- Tier 4: Up to $60,000 USD (2M VP + 14 days) - 6 Months Vesting
- Tier 5: Up to $120,000 USD (4M VP + 14 days) - 6 Months Vesting
- Tier 6: Up to $240,000 USD (8M VP + 14 days) - 6 Months Vesting
This proposal simplifies all six categories and redefines the VP threshold required to access such grants. It also makes it more flexible by allowing the grantee to define the duration of the project and the payable currency (MANA vs stablecoins).
The DAO’s grant program is one of the best vehicles to help grow the Decentraland ecosystem. The current tiers structure was approved by a community vote almost a year ago, and now is a good time to review the results and propose improvements.
By reviewing the results of one year operations , some conclusions can be drawn:
- The tiers 1, 2, 3 represent 2.5% of the money granted.
- Tier 6 represents ~60% of the money granted, with an acceptance rate of 27%.
- The tier 4 is the most easily approved one, with an acceptance rate of 45%.
- Voters generally abstain from expressing their decision if the current result is aligned with their preference and the threshold has been achieved.
- Grantees almost always request the maximum budget allowed in the tier.
- Many projects requested funds for a scope longer than 6 months.
- The VP involved on grants has steadily increased over time, and it’s likely that only highly contentious grants get voted on by more voting power.
For this revised version of the Grants Program, the following changes are proposed:
Adjust the minimum VP threshold required to pass a small-tier grant.
Make the VP threshold variable based on the requested amount; the more money you need, the more VP is needed.
Allow more flexible vesting schedules to support different kinds of projects (longer and shorter than 6 months).
A new scheme of two tiers is recommended:
- Up to $20,000 USD, payable in stablecoins or MANA using a Vesting Contract, or a one-time payment (after 30 days).
- Vesting duration can range from 1 to 6 months.
- Votation period: 2 weeks.
- Votation threshold: 2M VP.
- From $20,000 to $240,000 USD, payable in stablecoins using a Vesting Contract.
- Vesting duration can range from 3 to 12 months.
- Votation Period: 2 weeks.
- Variable votation threshold, using the formula: 1.2M + TOTAL_BUDGET * 40VP/USD .
- E.g. $60,000 USD requires 3,600,000 VP
- E.g. $120,000 USD requires 6,000,000 VP
- E.g. $240,000 USD requires 10,800,000 VP
Analysis and considerations for the future
There are two parameters of this model that could be easily changed over time in contrast to the current tiers system, allowing for more flexibility and a quicker iteration of this structure over time as participating VP increases. Those are:
- The 2M threshold on the lower tier
- The slope of the threshold on the higher tier (currently set to 40 VP per USD requested)
Participation over time could be monitored and changes in these parameters could be suggested based on more information and data collected from this new schema. This factor could also follow a nonlinear relationship to the amount being requested, but a thorough analysis of why that would be beneficial should support such change.
The proposed change aims to adjust the required VP thresholds, aligning them with current standards of participation in the DAO.
Making the VP threshold variable based on the requested amount will encourage the grantees to be more mindful of their budgets.
Also, removing the limitation of 6-month vesting and allowing grantees to define the duration of the project would make it possible to fund short-term goals such as conference sponsorships and IRL gatherings; and also year-long initiatives that are considered core to the operations of the DAO.
Vote on this proposal on the Decentraland DAO